General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User benwiddowson82
(newbie) Wed 27-May-15 18:41:26
Print Post

Urgent HELP needed (BT Migration)

[link to this post]

Hi
I'm moving to Plusnet but i'm currently with BT and have a HH5. The HH5 has to go back (long story) when i migrate. Plusnet have just helpfully informed me that i wont be getting an engineer visit and thus i wont be given an openreach modem and they cant place an order for another visit till the migration has completed. I'm away for a couple of weeks and need to VPN back home. Can i buy a openreach of ebay and just plug it in or does it need configuring in some way? I'm pretty sure im on a huawei cabinet.

Thanks
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 27-May-15 18:51:24
Print Post

Re: Urgent HELP needed (BT Migration)

[re: benwiddowson82] [link to this post]

Yes you can, assuming it is in good nick. (Many people on here have done that and I haven't seen a single report of a duff one).

Preferably get a Huawei HG612 3B, which has the white power plug as well as the 3B on the back. That is (a) the latest and doesn't have overheating problems, and (b) is easily unlocked if you want to do that to get line stats.

Don't pay much of a higher price for one that is already unlocked - it's easy.

You plug the HG612 into the phone line in the same way as the Home Hub. Then an Ethernet cable that comes with the router from that to the router WAN port. Your login username and password go into the router.

Good luck.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 60000/16961kbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 27-May-15 18:52:42)

(newbie) Wed 27-May-15 19:00:54
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks, i really appreciate your speedy response. I've just got one off Ebay (locked) for £19. I have no idea if thats a good price or not but desperate times and all.

Thanks again

Ben

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Nightglow
(newbie) Wed 27-May-15 19:05:21
Print Post

Not too bad a price, but I can see the price for a secondhand HG612 continuing to rise & become very sort after,if you have a Huawei cabinet & also with the ongoing ECI problems.

Edited by Nightglow (Wed 27-May-15 19:11:01)

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Wed 27-May-15 19:22:46
Print Post

Well i would of requested that plusnet arranged an engineers visit, if only to provide the modem, as Plusnet are more than happy to still charge the full £50.00 fee for a engineer install even when they aren't required
Instead of spending further money on a modem,
(newbie) Wed 27-May-15 20:15:14
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

I would of kicked off had I been charged an install fee but that was free. I would of waited if we had not of been going away. Does unlocking it do anything interesting and is it easy to do?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 27-May-15 20:42:16
Print Post

It gets you into the GUI and also lets you get full stats. There are also a couple of monitoring and graphical systems available that have been written by forum members that run with unlocked ones.

Without unlocking it you get no information at all about the connection. Unlike with the HH5.

I'd worry about that when you get back from holiday. But the basic unlocking method is described here, and the latest unlocked firmware is the BO30SP08 webgui version.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 60000/16961kbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 27-May-15 20:43:51)

(newbie) Fri 29-May-15 20:50:26
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Many thanks everyone
(newbie) Sun 31-May-15 13:28:00
Print Post

Stupid question, but what files am i actually downloading?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 31-May-15 13:35:14
Print Post

In the link I gave you, choose the B030SP08 folder, then download the file that ends in B030SP08_webgui.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to