General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User agnits
(newbie) Wed 27-May-15 20:29:48
Print Post

Fibre coming to my exchange

[link to this post]

Hey

I haven't been able to find out any information anywhere else - 'When and Where' BT site just loads up a questionmark when I enter my details.

My exchange is in a village that serves around 600 properties. I'm led to believe that 300~ of these are Exchange Only (I am exchange only). With the rest split between 2 normal green cabs. We had a lady come and chat at the village hall over 1 year ago saying that around half the village would have fibre in the last part of 2015.

Anyway... there are now road works happening between the exchange and a few of those BT slabs in the pavement the other side of the road. They have finished digging the road and tarmaced it over. They have also dug out what looks to be the foundations for a cabinet which is about 100metres from the exchange. I found this on roadworks.org:

pcp3 10 DAY POWER AND DSLAM:STREET CABINET & POWER INSTALLATION. Excavate to lay approx 3m BT ducts, Lay concrete plinth, Stand cab. Excavate to expose low voltage cable for Power Connection and lay approx 16m duct. POWER engineer to carry out inspection prior to jointing. POWER jointing team to insert cable and execute jointing works. Reinstate, Check and clear site.

Does this mean fibre is coming? If so, any idea if it is for the Exchange Only users? The cabinet foundations they have dug are no where near the 2 normal green cabinets.

agnits
Standard User digitalis
(newbie) Wed 27-May-15 21:20:59
Print Post

Re: Fibre coming to my exchange

[re: agnits] [link to this post]

What's your exchange name or postcode? If what you believe to be an FTTC cabinet is sited over 100m from the existing PCP's then that's probably a good indication of an EO cab

Edited by digitalis (Wed 27-May-15 21:22:09)

Standard User agnits
(newbie) Thu 28-May-15 09:33:32
Print Post

[re: digitalis] [link to this post]

EAGMS

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Ribble
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 28-May-15 11:42:31
Print Post

In short , yes. There should be 2 new cabinets appearing near here
Standard User agnits
(newbie) Thu 28-May-15 12:11:19
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

That is pretty much where they are digging smile
Standard User agnits
(newbie) Mon 01-Jun-15 18:09:14
Print Post

The Fibre cab went in today next to the new PCP cabinet. I would have thought a combi cab would have been better?

The cab looks to be Huawei 96/128, (will grab some pics later). Seems a bit underwhelming for 300~ EO lines?
Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 01-Jun-15 18:36:25
Print Post

I would have thought a combi cab would have been better?
Combi cabs can, I believe, handle up to 96 lines and would therefore be far too small if there are c300 EO lines.
Standard User Ribble
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 01-Jun-15 18:57:15
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

128 lines, but still too small
Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 01-Jun-15 20:09:59
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

Thanks Ribble. I knew it was low but didn't have the precise number to hand so plumped for 96. We're waiting for BT to install an all-in-one to serve our development of 75 properties in central London and am pleased to read that it is 128 as several of the properties on the development have two or more lines and until now had thought we might be a bit close to the limit.
Standard User agnits
(newbie) Mon 01-Jun-15 20:19:21
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

Here are the pictures. I'm guessing if the cab can only handle 128 customers then it will fill up pretty fast?

Is it possible to have 2 Fibre cabs connected to a normal(PCP) green cab?

Picture of both new cabs

Fibre cab

Edited by agnits (Mon 01-Jun-15 20:32:09)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to