General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Fenn
(newbie) Fri 29-May-15 08:43:29
Print Post

My speed test results and where are my line stats!

[link to this post]

Hello.

I have waited a long time for fibre, finally got it 3 days ago and I have been playing around since laugh doesn't seem to be much to play around with though performance has been stable since day one. I have the 76mb package from BT and fibre to the premesis.

Here is my result from the speed test does everything look good?

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...

Web browsing still feels quite sluggish however i don't have a very good laptop may I ask if an SSD would improve browsing speed? due to maybe caching or something? I don't really understand how it all works so I am only guessing, but wb browsing is anything but 'snappy' many thanks

OH and I also cannot find my line stats, like SNR etc, on my BT home hub 5 and I have looked EVERYWHERE any ideas? cheers.

Edited by Fenn (Fri 29-May-15 08:58:54)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 29-May-15 09:10:50
Print Post

Re: My speed test results and where are my line stats!

[re: Fenn] [link to this post]

Speeds are very good.

As for PC SSD is of less benefit than more memory. What os and amount of memory do you have

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Alnath
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 29-May-15 09:24:38
Print Post

In reply to a post by Fenn:
Hello.

I have waited a long time for fibre, finally got it 3 days ago and I have been playing around since laugh doesn't seem to be much to play around with though performance has been stable since day one. I have the 76mb package from BT and fibre to the premesis.

Here is my result from the speed test does everything look good?

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...

Web browsing still feels quite sluggish however i don't have a very good laptop may I ask if an SSD would improve browsing speed? due to maybe caching or something? I don't really understand how it all works so I am only guessing, but wb browsing is anything but 'snappy' many thanks

OH and I also cannot find my line stats, like SNR etc, on my BT home hub 5 and I have looked EVERYWHERE any ideas? cheers.

Toubleshooting
Helpdesk

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Fenn
(newbie) Fri 29-May-15 09:38:13
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Speeds are very good.

As for PC SSD is of less benefit than more memory. What os and amount of memory do you have

Many thanks for the reply and windows 8.1 and 4GB RAM

And I know they should be in helpdesk mate but look

http://i.imgur.com/dbddvWj.png
Standard User greenglide
(experienced) Fri 29-May-15 10:02:16
Print Post

If you are on FTTP (not FTTC) then the HH5 isnt acting as a modem so surely there is nothing, or very little, to look at?

With FTTP it connects at full speed or it doesnt connect at all. Any line level connection data will only be available to the ONT wouldnt it?

BT Infinity 2 - IP profile 77 / 20 - super fast!
Previously BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload but then moved house - 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download
Standard User TheEulerID
(member) Fri 29-May-15 10:13:29
Print Post

Line stats are only relevant for copper. Fibre works very differently and, as long as it's actually connected, it will not be subject to the same issues that degrade copper performance with distance.

So the only thing that matters is actual throughput which is effectively down to any congestion issues in the network. Your figures are excellent and approach the theoretical maximum once the various layered protocol overheads inherent in the test are netted off.
Standard User Nightglow
(newbie) Fri 29-May-15 10:46:20
Print Post

In reply to a post by Fenn:
Hello.

I have waited a long time for fibre, finally got it 3 days ago and I have been playing around since laugh doesn't seem to be much to play around with though performance has

Switch off unused/uneeded services in Windows 8.1 can help, but nowadays you need 8Mb memory.
Plenty of guides for this online.

Just upgraded my lappy from 3Gb to 8Gb more snappier now.

EDIT: corrected now.

Edited by Nightglow (Fri 29-May-15 11:30:35)

Standard User shinerweb
(regular) Fri 29-May-15 11:23:40
Print Post

[re: Nightglow] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Nightglow:
Switch off unused/uneeded services in Windows 8.1 can help, but nowadays you need 8Mb memory.
Plenty of guides for this online.
Just upgraded my lappy from 3Mb to 8Mb more snappier now.

Methinks you mean Gig not Meg wink

For the OP:
Basically, the more memory you can stick in your machine the best.
(Instead of having to swap programs/data out to slow discs (SSD or other), using RAM is much quicker which is where you see the speed improvement). Hence, the more RAM you've got, the less time your machine has to bother the SSD/HDD drives.

--
About Me | PlusNet ADSL2
Standard User edwincluck
(regular) Fri 29-May-15 11:26:49
Print Post

[re: Nightglow] [link to this post]

Gigabyte (GB) surely?

Edited by edwincluck (Fri 29-May-15 11:27:33)

Standard User Nightglow
(newbie) Fri 29-May-15 11:29:05
Print Post

[re: edwincluck] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by edwincluck:

Gigabyte (GB) surely?

Yes, your correct, I'm getting rather frazzled here today.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to