General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User cirithungol
(newbie) Sat 30-May-15 01:10:12
Print Post

Roadworks.org "fibre optic chamber"?

[link to this post]

Hi,

I've been checking roadworks.org in my area for the past few months hoping to spot something that might mean my cabinet will be enabled soon. I've only ever paid attention to the phone icons as they usually denote BT/Openreach activity. However, out of curiosity (boredom) I noticed a rash of lightning bolt icons appearing, showing scheduled works for Scottish Power over the next few months. Upon reading the detailed works info, a couple of words stuck out:

"WORKS TO ACCESS FIBRE OPTIC CHAMBER IN CONNECTION WITH INSTALLATION OF CABLES FOLLOWING ON FROM ST H..."

Is this related to the fibre roll out? Or would a "fibre optic chamber" be used for something else?

The works seems to be radiating out from the exchange, which I thought might mean it is BTOR finally laying the fibre, although my cabinet has been there for over a year so I thought that part would have been done already.

Can anyone shed light on this?
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 30-May-15 07:47:15
Print Post

Re: Roadworks.org "fibre optic chamber"?

[re: cirithungol] [link to this post]

It's possible that this work is to provide power connections to Openreach FTTC cabinets.

I haven't heard any mention of Scottish Power being a subcontractor for Openreach in respect of installing fibre, though that's not to say it doesn't happen. Others are in a better place to know than I am.

If these works are laying fibre down Scottish Power owned ducts, I can't see that having anything to do with Openreach FTTx as I don't believe Openreach use third party owned fibre for connections between FTTC cabinets / FTTP splitters and the handover node at the exchange.

Standard User Icaras
(member) Sat 30-May-15 08:17:20
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by David_W:
It's possible that this work is to provide power connections to Openreach FTTC cabinets.

I haven't heard any mention of Scottish Power being a subcontractor for Openreach in respect of installing fibre, though that's not to say it doesn't happen. Others are in a better place to know than I am.

If these works are laying fibre down Scottish Power owned ducts, I can't see that having anything to do with Openreach FTTx as I don't believe Openreach use third party owned fibre for connections between FTTC cabinets / FTTP splitters and the handover node at the exchange.

Scottish Power aren't a contractor for Openreach.

So I'm not sure what this is. Obviously they get involved when an Openreach fibre cabinet needs power to it but that doesn't appear to be what this is for.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User simon194
(experienced) Sat 30-May-15 10:54:20
Print Post

[re: Icaras] [link to this post]

Only guessing but It could be chambers where optical amplifiers are being installed.
Standard User threelegs
(newbie) Sat 30-May-15 17:48:14
Print Post

[re: simon194] [link to this post]

could it be scottish power building their own fibre network to accomodate the data from smart meters
  Print Thread

Jump to