General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Fenn
(newbie) Sun 31-May-15 12:35:59
Print Post

DLM on fibre to the home (FTTP/FTTH)

[link to this post]

Hi,

I have an openreach modem on the wall and my BT Home Hub 5 is plugged into that, I have had rock solid connection and speeds since day one and I have had fibre to the premises for around 4-5 days.

May I ask what detriment there will be to turning off or unplugging the BT home hub 5, will DLM kick in and murder my speeds etc, should I wait longer? any information would be great on how this all works - many thanks.

Edited by Fenn (Sun 31-May-15 12:36:36)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 31-May-15 12:45:55
Print Post

Re: DLM on fibre to the home (FTTP/FTTH)

[re: Fenn] [link to this post]

No dlm on the fttp since it always connects at the purchased speed

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Fenn
(newbie) Sun 31-May-15 12:56:45
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Oh wow that's pretty cool.thanks for the reply, so I literally don't need to worry about anything? I can plug in and unplug the BT homehub 5 as I feel?? is there anything I need to be wary of? I am brand new to this I have had ADSL for years and years, constantly worrying about sync speed, SNR, and all [censored] like that

I have done a lot of googling but there is just not that much info on fttp

Edited by Fenn (Sun 31-May-15 12:59:36)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User eckiedoo
(experienced) Sun 31-May-15 13:37:11
Print Post

I wonder if there may be any problems akin to Mobile Phones, when they are not used for a longish period such as six months, the mobile number is "recovered" and passed on to another person?

Anything like that, to re-deploy the DLM circuit etc?
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 31-May-15 14:15:31
Print Post

[re: Fenn] [link to this post]

As Mr.S says, no DLM on FTTP based services. All will be well.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 31-May-15 14:27:34
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

Eh?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User eckiedoo
(experienced) Sun 31-May-15 15:46:42
Print Post

From newspaper reports, some persons who have mobile phones "for emergencies" and who there fore make very few, if any, calls, have found that their phones have been removed from an active listing after six months non-use, then "cancelled after 12 months" so that the mobile number can be re-used with another mobile customer.

These reports have appeared with some frequency.

In that respect, nothing to do with broadband - but I wondered if anyone has encountered a similar (commercial) difficulty with broadband in the broad sense - that a specific ADSL or VDSL connection has been ceased because it had not been used for a substantial period.
Standard User Fenn
(newbie) Sun 31-May-15 16:11:25
Print Post

I was talking about unplugging my hub and moving it to another socket not unplugging it for 6 months lol but anyway.

Which I have done and everything is still rock solid http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...

Fingers crossed everything stays strong

All in all 5 days in and I am over the moon with my new connection, if it remains this good of course.

Edited by Fenn (Sun 31-May-15 16:16:24)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 31-May-15 16:15:15
Print Post

No.

Only way this happens with broadband is if you don't pay for it.

With mobiles this will relate to payg where a condition is to use phone every x days to retain number

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 31-May-15 19:41:37
Print Post

I've had a number on Orange PAYG for well over a decade. Switched it on perhaps four or five times in that period.

Not only does it work, but the remaining credit is there. I get so many spam calls on it however that it is unusable, but I hang onto it for sentimental reasons. Mainly that I got it long before the initial 7 was inserted into the 0973 ...!

The only action Orange take is to close my online account for it, so if I want to check the balance I have to reopen it. I wonder if that confuses some people?

Oh, I've also got a Virgin PAYG sim that an idiot made me buy to get a particular phone over ten years ago. My O2 sim went straight in when I got home. The last time I checked that sim it still had most of its opening £10 credit available.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 60000/16961kbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 31-May-15 19:44:01)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to