Some of the speed I had lost over a few months returned. 2/3Mbps.
Unfortunately latency went through the roof. I have lived with it up until now but it is really annoying.
Several posts that I have read imply that it is the HH5 type A that is having this problem and not the HH5 type B.
Since mine is a type A I thought I would ring BT and see what could be done. They surprisingly sent out another HH5 to me, making it clear that they could not guarantee that it would be a type B.
I received a type A and tried it out and got the same problem. Really bad latency.
So I decided to buy an HH5 type B on eBay.It should arrive in a couple of days.
My worry is, after further reading, that I may have a problem when I try to connect up.
I have just read that if the HH5 type B does not have the upgraded firmware, it will not sync.
Further that an engineer will have to change the DLM or something so that it will sync and get the software, or is it firmware, over the next few days.
Any comments will be gratefully received.
I should say that the broadband speed test comes up with 50ms
Edited by woodroyd (Sun 31-May-15 19:27:17)