General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Tolq
(newbie) Thu 04-Jun-15 20:20:45
Print Post

Long EO line moved to cabinet, what's next?

[link to this post]

We moved to rural Scotland about a year ago, and although I have been pleasantly surprised at the speed of our connection given the distance to the exchange (4,5 Mbps on EO line about 3,5-4 km from exchange NSINS), I am of course keen to get access to fibre, so I have been following the local development fairly closely.

Now, as mentioned, I was on an EO line, but I seem to have been recently moved to Cabinet 6 (according to the BTO Wholesale ADSL checker).

When I input our postcode AB52 6LS on the codelook page here, I get a list of 4 fibre street cabinets:

Fibre Street Cabinet 1: P5 10% of area FTTC Available from 7th November 2014 Phase BDUK Scot Government 12b
Fibre Street Cabinet 2: P6 90% of area FTTC Planned (exchange ready 7th February 2014) Phase BDUK Scot Government 12b
Fibre Street Cabinet 3: Exchange 16 90% of area FTTP Planned Phase BDUK Scot Government 12b
Fibre Street Cabinet 4: Exchange 9 10% of area Not Available

Is it safe to assume I will be connected to street cabinet 2 (connected to cabinet P6, which I am currently on?), or am I reading the data wrong?
Also, it seems like the first 3 street cabinets are part of phase 12b - is there any way of checking the timeframe of this particular phase?

And lastly, what does it mean when it says that both street cabinets 2 and 3 cover "90% of area"? Street cabinet 3 has FTTP planned, which I am obviously keen on if at all possible, but I am trying not to get my hopes up.

In short, I am struggling to understand what the current plans are for our little handful of houses out here in the dark heart of Aberdeenshire - thanks in advance for any information you can offer.smile
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 04-Jun-15 20:39:03
Print Post

Re: Long EO line moved to cabinet, what's next?

[re: Tolq] [link to this post]

Codelook has added some of their own wording to the plans, fibre cabinets have no real number, you are known by the copper cabinet number. The 90% may be a distance estimate to all properties but on my phone so cannot access my map tools to figure it out

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User PaulKirby
(experienced) Thu 04-Jun-15 20:48:31
Print Post

Ok,
90% of that postcode was on EO Line (Exchange 16) which has been moved over to cabinet 6

10% was on EO Line (Exchange 9) which has also been moved over to cabinet 6, seems it was originally down to be moved over to cabinet 5, but may of been moved over to 6 so all would get fibre once its all done.

As for "Fibre Street Cabinet X" ignore those that site uses that as an index.
You need to look at those P numbers.

When it says 90% for your post code for a PCP Cabinet (i.e. P6) and Exchange 16, that just means that its being moved from the EO Line to a PCP cabinet, same with the reaming 10%

Sadly I don't think it will be FTTP, there is more chance it being FTTC which cabinets 5 and 6 are down for.

As for Phase 12a of the BDUK Scot Government, I thought they was working on 14a, 14b and 15b, I know a lot of 13a have been completed.
Maybe they are behind on you upgrade.

I did a check on that post code and have the following:
Exchange Name: Insch
Exchange Code: NSINS

Cabinet: 6
Fibre Phase: BDUK Scot Government 12b
Fibre Information: FTTC Planned (exchange ready 7th February 2014)
Result Count: 9

[AB52 6LS]
Has 9 result(s) connected to Cabinet 6 with ADSLx with approximate speeds around the following:
ADSLx (Worst): Up to 1.0 (downstream rate) -- (upsrteam rate) 0.8 to 2.5 (downstream range)
ADSLx (Best): Up to 1.0 (downstream rate) -- (upsrteam rate) 0.8 to 2.5 (downstream range)

Please note that these speeds are using BT's DSL Checker and uses the lowest and highest values for that postcode and cabinet.
Had at least 1 issue retrieving information from the BT DSL Checker.
Not many addresses for that postcode.

Paul

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Thu 04-Jun-15 20:50:31
Print Post

It's likely to mean something of a change in plans over time.

I'd guess that *originally*, 90% of your postcode's properties were connected via EO bundle 16, and 10% of your postcode was connected via EO bundle 9. No chance of superfast broadband with things like that.

I'd then guess that BT have subsequently decided that they'll put in a new PCP, numbered P5, and determined that it will house the lines that used to be in EO bundle 9. This allows use of FTTC. Possibly some other bundles too, but not bundle 15.

EO bundle 9 will ultimately disappear.

NB: If the rest of your postcode is also 4km from the exchange, houses on P5 will need to check the location carefully - they might be too far away from it to benefit.

I'd then guess that someone made a plan for EO bundle 16 to be made superfast through use of FTTP. This is the most expensive way to make properties superfast, so BT are always looking for ways to change that plan to make use of FTTC.

So I'd further guess that BT have subsequently decided that they'll put in a new PCP, numbered P6, to house bundle 15, and will use FTTC - and have thrown away the plan for FTTP.

Just like P5, houses switched onto P6 will need to look carefully at the location of the new cabinet; it needs to be within 1km to be getting decent speeds.

If the BTW checker says you are now on cabinet 6, then that is where your line has been moved to.
Standard User PaulKirby
(experienced) Thu 04-Jun-15 20:58:05
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Codelook has added some of their own wording to the plans, fibre cabinets have no real number, you are known by the copper cabinet number. The 90% may be a distance estimate to all properties but on my phone so cannot access my map tools to figure it out
The percentage on that site is as far as I know how many addresses on a cabinet or EO line for that postcode.
And when you see 90% for a cabinet and 90% for an EO line or multi EO lines, then you can assume those EO lines are to be moved over to that cabinet.

Paul
Standard User Tolq
(newbie) Thu 04-Jun-15 21:09:33
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Wow, I wish I could get this kind of response time from my ISP laugh
Thanks for the answers so far!

I went down to the exchange today and noticed a pair of green cabinets outside it, one of them numbered 5 - I am guessing that would be P5 then, but I am not sure where P6 is hiding. Looking at the map of which postcodes it serves, I have a strong suspicion that it is still pretty close to the exchange (i.e. pretty far from me still), so that raises another question - if I am indeed further away than 1 km from the cabinet (which I am almost certain I am), is there any chance of us ever getting a decent upgrade this far out? If so, how?
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 04-Jun-15 21:09:44
Print Post

In reply to a post by Tolq:
In short, I am struggling to understand what the current plans are for our little handful of houses out here in the dark heart of Aberdeenshire - thanks in advance for any information you can offer.smile

Just think how Rhynie and the Cabrach compare!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Tolq
(newbie) Thu 04-Jun-15 21:14:41
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Just think how Rhynie and the Cabrach compare!

Funny that, we were actually looking at a house in Rhynie before we bought this one wink
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 04-Jun-15 21:22:02
Print Post

Whereabouts?

You can send me a PM ...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User delone
(experienced) Thu 04-Jun-15 22:14:43
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Hi Paul.

Do you know when they will start on phase 15a?

Cheers

Del
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to