General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User dave2150
(experienced) Fri 05-Jun-15 14:51:10
Print Post

ECI FTTC Cabinets still don't support G.INP?

[link to this post]

I was wondering if anyone is privy to the development of this issue?

Last I heard, BT said that ECI haven't released a new firmware for ECI cabinets to support G.INP yet.

FTTC over 600M of good old Aluminium
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2869262320.png
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Fri 05-Jun-15 16:11:56
Print Post

Re: ECI FTTC Cabinets still don't support G.INP?

[re: dave2150] [link to this post]

Yes, they haven't and I don't think they will.

BT Openreach have helpfully turned off G.INP on the upstream for everyone to mask their buddies, BT Consumer, problems with the HH5A's.
In reference to aastatus.net/2127:
Update
Wednesday 10:36:31 Apologise for the delay in updating this post. BT have confirmed that all trial lines have been loaded with the new profiles, further to this BT have confirmed that all other affected lines have now had the new profiles loaded. That is all lines across all providers.

Edited by BatBoy (Fri 05-Jun-15 17:12:52)

Standard User dave2150
(experienced) Fri 05-Jun-15 20:18:30
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
Yes, they haven't and I don't think they will.

BT Openreach have helpfully turned off G.INP on the upstream for everyone to mask their buddies, BT Consumer, problems with the HH5A's.
In reference to aastatus.net/2127:
Update
Wednesday 10:36:31 Apologise for the delay in updating this post. BT have confirmed that all trial lines have been loaded with the new profiles, further to this BT have confirmed that all other affected lines have now had the new profiles loaded. That is all lines across all providers.

Disappointing

I wonder what genius at BT decided to buy thousands of cabinets that don't support G.INP.....

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 05-Jun-15 20:31:46
Print Post

In reply to a post by dave2150:
I wonder what genius at BT decided to buy thousands of cabinets that don't support G.INP.....
It hadn't occurred to them that it would ever be useful. That's assuming they'd even heard of it.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 60000/16961kbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM
Standard User simon194
(experienced) Sat 06-Jun-15 00:25:27
Print Post

Probably the same one that that made sure they didn't support vectoring either. smile
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Sat 06-Jun-15 00:29:46
Print Post

I think the issue is that the current firmware levels for ECI, in both DSLAMs and modems, only supports G.INP downstream. However, lines on ECI cabinets have not, as yet, been allowed to change to G.INP-friendly profiles. Deliberately.

It looks like someone (probably a lot of someones) at BT miscalculated the impact of ECI modems on Huawei cabinets -perhaps believing the ECI modems only existed on ECI cabinets. Result: carnage.

This miscalculation was discovered at the end of the Huawei cabinet rollout, but before the ECI cabinet rollout. Unsurprisingly, the ECI cabinet rollout got stopped (paused, at minimum), until the situation could be dealt with.

Now they've rolled out a workable fix for those users affected by the Huawei rollout, they're probably in a position to understand whether further changes are needed prior to an ECI rollout.
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Sat 06-Jun-15 00:31:51
Print Post

[re: simon194] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by simon194:

Probably the same one that that made sure they didn't support vectoring either. smile

Probably doesn't matter now, as G.fast looks to be preferred.
Standard User godsell4
(regular) Sat 06-Jun-15 07:48:14
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by WWWombat:
It looks like someone (probably a lot of someones) at BT miscalculated the impact of ECI modems on Huawei cabinets -perhaps believing the ECI modems only existed on ECI cabinets. Result: carnage.

I think BTO must also have a large job lot of ECI modems, everyone around here who has had FTTC enabled has been given the ECI modem. And we are all on Huawei cabinets.

PlusNet BBYW1
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sat 06-Jun-15 08:53:30
Print Post

[re: godsell4] [link to this post]

The installers were giving out ECI modems and selling the Huawei modems on Ebay.
Standard User dave2150
(experienced) Thu 04-Feb-16 01:03:01
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by WWWombat:
I think the issue is that the current firmware levels for ECI, in both DSLAMs and modems, only supports G.INP downstream. However, lines on ECI cabinets have not, as yet, been allowed to change to G.INP-friendly profiles. Deliberately.

This miscalculation was discovered at the end of the Huawei cabinet rollout, but before the ECI cabinet rollout. Unsurprisingly, the ECI cabinet rollout got stopped (paused, at minimum), until the situation could be dealt with.

Now they've rolled out a workable fix for those users affected by the Huawei rollout, they're probably in a position to understand whether further changes are needed prior to an ECI rollout.

This sounds encouraging, though as the weeks/months go by without any updates, it looks like the ECI cabinets will never be updated to support G.INP.

Perhaps the ECI DSLAMS cannot support G.INP properly due to a hardware limitation? Surely BT would have requested a software update from them by now etc.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to