General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Ironhide
(newbie) Sun 07-Jun-15 05:24:50
Print Post

Moving to rural property. Going fiber, 1.6 miles of copper?

[link to this post]

Hello,
I hope I've posted this in the right section.
We are considering moving to a rural property in Lincolnshire. It is on standard broadband at the moment but is planned to be upgraded to fiber this month. The problem is it appears to be 1.6 miles from the cabinet. As I understand it, that means even though fiber's going to the cabinet it will be traveling 1.6 miles over the old copper cable? I was wondering if someone could tell me how this will affect both speed and latency?
We are currently living in a town with fiber (Plusnet) and tend to average around 50Mbps (a speed test just now came up at 38.15 download and 15.88 upload with a ping of 26)
There are three of us and we are all pretty heavy users. My brother and I are both PC gamers and all three of us also do a lot of downloading and streaming (like Netflix etc). We also run a business from home and need to upload images quickly to websites and ebay.
As mentioned above, our concern is how having 1.6 miles of copper will affect the speed and latency? Before we got upgraded to fiber here we used to get kicked out of game servers for a high ping.

The people funding the upgrade are Onlincolnshire, though BT are carrying out the work. They have said if they can get enough people in the village to request it that they will put a terminal in the local villiage. As I understand it this is some device that goes in between the cabinet and the property to extend the fiber and reduce the length is has to travel by copper? If the speed will be too low/ping too high without it, will the terminal improve things?
Thanks
Standard User tonycollinet
(learned) Sun 07-Jun-15 09:27:12
Print Post

Re: Moving to rural property. Going fiber, 1.6 miles of copp

[re: Ironhide] [link to this post]

This link shows you the speed distance graph
http://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/2013/chart-b...

1.6 miles is nearly 2.6km

you are going to be down at around 10mb/s. Latency is going to be determined by line quality and how much interleaving is required. I don't think it is possible to predict.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 07-Jun-15 09:33:04
Print Post

[re: tonycollinet] [link to this post]

10 Mbps might be optimistic, at that distance the variables are so wide it could be 1 Mbps or 10 Mbps.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 07-Jun-15 09:34:31
Print Post

I'd not put any hope on the 'new terminal' since not aware of this happening in Lincolnshire at all.

I would be harsh and say if you are heavy users and need broadband for business you need to consider somewhere else, and only places where the fibre is live and ready to order and thus you can get a proper speed estimate.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User rogerfp
(member) Sun 07-Jun-15 11:26:14
Print Post

Why would anyone who needs fast internet even consider moving to somewhere that its not available yet? The promise of fibre being available is just that "a promise" until its actually up and running. I'd wait until its is available and see what sort of speeds it gives.
Unfortunately like it or not, fast internet is rewriting the value of property across the UK. Its quickly becoming as important as Gas, Electricity and Water. No one would consider a property where the electricity was only avaliable for 8 hours a day. There are some who are still in denial, but its a fact.
I wouldn't even consider a property that doesn't already have fibre in place with speeds of 40mb +.
Standard User godsell4
(regular) Sun 07-Jun-15 14:07:27
Print Post

As Mr Saffron suggests, until it is enabled at those kind of distances, until it is tested and enabled it is a guessing game as to what kind of speeds you will get, if any at all.

PlusNet BBYW1
Standard User mrvanx
(committed) Sun 07-Jun-15 15:37:54
Print Post

I have a similar situation for where I am moving to soon (in a month or so).

The exchange and cabinet are fibre enabled however there is around a ~2 mile distance from the village in question (Sproxton) to the cabinet which is in Helmsley. The usual websites suggest 4mbit is the best I can achieve, since FTTC is not available. FTTPoD is offered but i cannot justify paying for it. According to the openreach website they are exploring options for the cabinet in question, so again not good news short-term.

My solution is at the moment banking on the local fixed wireless provider (LN Comms - www.iloveboradband.co.uk) being able to provide a ~30mbit service as long as I am within range which needs to be verified by a quick site survey.....
...or.....
... biding my time until a solution appears either in the guise of improved connectivity via the BT route or something else coming along.

The fixed wireless option I am backing at the moment as it frees me of requiring a pair of wires coming in which I am tied to paying ~£16 a month for.

I would take a look in your area for something OTHER THAN the BT route if this is going to be giving you a below par service for the same price others pay for something above 40mbit. Looking at the online Lincolnshire website presented me with THIS. Might have some promise, also theres a good ammount of information on the phases of thier broadband rollout....is there anything to be found for the area you are looking at in terms of an upgrade to the system???

Just my opinion, there are other opinions available smile

Sky Unlimited

Edited by mrvanx (Sun 07-Jun-15 15:40:46)

Standard User Pgre
(experienced) Sun 07-Jun-15 20:12:04
Print Post

[re: mrvanx] [link to this post]

Hi..
Just wanted to check.. your saying FoD is available ?
That's news if it is as it was on hold, so has something changed ? Or is this something special.

Regards PGre
Standard User zom22
(member) Sun 07-Jun-15 20:21:23
Print Post

[re: rogerfp] [link to this post]

You will be aware I hope that many villages in the UK do not have mains gas and have to rely on either oil tanks or propane cylinders for heating etc.
Standard User mrvanx
(committed) Sun 07-Jun-15 22:07:41
Print Post

[re: Pgre] [link to this post]

Im only going by the openreach address checker website.

I have no idea how accurate or up to date it is, maybe MrSaffron can comment??

I have posted the results of the checker HERE.

Sky Unlimited
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to