General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User boysteve
(member) Sun 07-Jun-15 06:48:15
Print Post

FTTP Provider choice

[link to this post]

Now FTTP is available to me I have been looking at providers and have come down to BT or Plusnet can't really justify £60+ for zen aaisp or idnet,if I could I would probably order Infinty 3.

Now to order Plusnet I would have to transfer my adsl line and then upgrade to fibre @ £37 p/m e/w calls18 month contract

Or order BT infinity 2 @£43 p/m weekend calls 12 month contract,with a possible £140 cashback on tcb and includes BT Sport.

The overall cost isn't that different especially if the cashback comes through,just wondering would anyone recommend one over the other and why?
I would be taking new router from either company to start with.

BT installation would presumably be quicker as I wouldn't have to transfer then upgrade.
Have also posted on Plusnet Subforum
http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/plusnet/t/4412772-f...

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Sky Broadband Unlimited LLU without TV
Line Rental/Calls IDNET
Standard User tonycollinet
(learned) Sun 07-Jun-15 09:13:38
Print Post

Re: FTTP Provider choice

[re: boysteve] [link to this post]

For me it is about support

BT Have (AIUI) overseas call centers operating from scripts.

Plusnet have UK call centers - but there is often a long on hold period - free to call though.
Plusnet has a good support ticket system, again with long response times (no idea what BT written support is like)

But (and this is the biggie for me) Plusnet digital care team staff respond in the user to user forums, and quite effectively. I had superb support when btw/openreach were letting us down badly over fibre installation.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 07-Jun-15 09:35:39
Print Post

[re: tonycollinet] [link to this post]

BT Retail FTTP has a different call centre I believe that is in the UK

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User epyon
(experienced) Sun 07-Jun-15 17:18:13
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

That is correct

for Infinity also in general

i remember calling and getting an irish accent on the other end a few times

Talktalk Business - 80/20

TTB speedtest
Standard User Icaras
(member) Sun 07-Jun-15 22:10:24
Print Post

[re: epyon] [link to this post]

Regular Infinity customers just go into the normal call centre queue, you could get UK or India.
Standard User Michael_Chare
(experienced) Mon 08-Jun-15 17:21:51
Print Post

[re: tonycollinet] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by tonycollinet:
For me it is about support.

This forum is full of people asking questions about copper line services.

You see very few people asking questions about FTTP. There are relatively few FTTP customers, but could it be that those who have FTTP don't ask questions because the service is more reliable anyway?

It is a pity that both BT and Plusnet want to sell you an expensive and unnecessary phone service with FTTP, when you could have a much cheaper VOIP service.

Michael Chare
Standard User Pgre
(experienced) Mon 08-Jun-15 17:34:57
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

It's a pity that FTTP isn't rolled out more generally... although the forum talks about that quite a lot!.

I don't use the phone, so even on an FTTC connection I'd like to avoid having to pay line rental.. or at least pay less and not have voice activated on it. I understand the argument about emergency services but I'd be using my mobile to call 999 these days. (or 112 for that matter if your that way inclined).

Regards PGre
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 08-Jun-15 17:55:11
Print Post

[re: Pgre] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Pgre:
... I don't use the phone, so even on an FTTC connection I'd like to avoid having to pay line rental.. or at least pay less and not have voice activated on it. I understand the argument about emergency services but I'd be using my mobile to call 999 these days. (or 112 for that matter if your that way inclined).
Linky. £12pcm.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 60000/16961kbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM
Standard User boysteve
(member) Mon 08-Jun-15 20:03:55
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Michael_Chare:
It is a pity that both BT and Plusnet want to sell you an expensive and unnecessary phone service with FTTP, when you could have a much cheaper VOIP service.

Actually removing line rental from plusnet FTTP seems a likely possibilty
Member:
For people that are in FTTP areas do you still need to keep the phone line as the internet side of things dont touch the phone line in my house now, it is just a pointless charge every month as we dont even use the phone, is there a way to cancel the phone now, i can understand people with FTTC needing a active phone line still as it isn't all fibre but cant see why i would need one now?.
PN:
No, we can remove it. Just be aware there is an extra £2.50 charge for broadband only (as with all products). Let me know if you want this to be the case.

I actually mean that you can just have FTTP. Remember that we have a bunch of these newly built flats that don't have any copper whatsoever.

http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,1368...

Which means I may also now be looking for a cheap voip

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Sky Broadband Unlimited LLU without TV
Line Rental/Calls IDNET
Standard User Pgre
(experienced) Mon 08-Jun-15 20:24:34
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

But I pay that for my line with phone.. ?? Not much of a deal really.
I was meaning.. like say £5.. or better still £0 smile

Regards PGre
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to