General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User GeekOfBroadband
(newbie) Sun 07-Jun-15 23:23:57
Print Post

How to turn interleaving off on FIBRE

[link to this post]

My line has had interleaving put on for the first time in 3 years of having fibre and its due a faulty talktalk modem/router we had and I kept reseeting it, not because our line is unstable. I know its not simple removing interleaving but what are the ways I can get it turned off, do I just have to wait it out and keep my modem connected or request a DLM reset? Here are the router stats:

DSL synchronization status:
Up
Connection status:
Showtime
Upstream line rate (kbit/s):
Downstream line rate (kbit/s):
Maximum upstream rate (kbit/s):
Maximum downstream rate (kbit/s):
Upstream noise safety coefficient (dB):
Downstream noise safety coefficient (dB):
Upstream interleave depth:
Downstream interleave depth:
Line standard:
VDSL2
Upstream line attenuation (dB):
Downstream line attenuation (dB):
Upstream output power (dBm):
Downstream output power (dBm):
Channel type:
Interleaved

Thank You

Edited by GeekOfBroadband (Sun 07-Jun-15 23:25:08)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 08-Jun-15 00:07:55
Print Post

Re: How to turn interleaving off on FIBRE

[re: GeekOfBroadband] [link to this post]

TalkTalk may play ball and ask for a reset, but normally those are only done by engineer request during a visit during which a fault was fixed.

It will self-correct in a few weeks if the line is now stable without huge error rates.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 60000/16961kbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 08-Jun-15 08:47:30
Print Post

That's a very high interleaving depth!

Openreach set very restrictive rules for DLM resets on FTTC, presumably because they do not want ISPs resetting DLM at will to try to trick the system or to allow too many upsets to what is quite a sensitive balance of overall system performance. In effect, Openreach don't want to allow strongarm tactics to improve the performance of one line at the cost of many other lines.

If an Openreach engineer replaces faulty Customer Premises Equipment, they can request a DLM reset. I'm not sure whether Openreach would accept an ISP request for a DLM reset in the basis that the ISP has issued replacement CPE owing to a fault. If you identified and replaces faulty CPE yourself, I think there's very little chance of a DLM reset.

The likelihood is that DLM will spot the improved error rate fairly quickly and will gradually remove interleaving. Keep things connected and do not reset the equipment yourself unless that is unavoidable. If you do have to reset your device, pull the power rather than the line in the hope that the power loss will successfully send a dying gasp to let the DSLAM know the reset was due to CPE power loss rather than line conditions.

If DLM doesn't start to reduce interleaving depth after 10 days or so, I'd ask your ISP if there is any chance of pressuring Openreach to do something.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(newbie) Mon 08-Jun-15 11:26:33
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

Thanks
(newbie) Tue 09-Jun-15 15:25:34
Print Post

I'm back on fast path! I just checked my router now and it disconnected 11 hours to resync. That was quicker than I expected..

DSL synchronization status:
Up
Connection status:
Showtime
Upstream line rate (kbit/s):
Downstream line rate (kbit/s):
Maximum upstream rate (kbit/s):
Maximum downstream rate (kbit/s):
Upstream noise safety coefficient (dB):
Downstream noise safety coefficient (dB):
Upstream interleave depth:
Downstream interleave depth:
Line standard:
VDSL2
Upstream line attenuation (dB):
Downstream line attenuation (dB):
Upstream output power (dBm):
Downstream output power (dBm):
Channel type:
Fast

Edited by GeekOfBroadband (Tue 09-Jun-15 15:26:13)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 09-Jun-15 16:49:41
Print Post

That's good smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 60000/16961kbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM
Standard User andythebrave
(member) Thu 21-Jan-16 12:04:05
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

"Openreach don't want to allow strong arm tactics to improve the performance of one line at the cost of many other lines."

dynamic line management reste only affect the line yuare reseting ie your telephone line not other users

openreach should not be making lines balanced for everyone otherwise they are caping lines that can do faster speeds especially on the 80 product. if this is the case they would be in breach of there postion as a monopoly

I'm sorry what absolute tosh you said
Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 21-Jan-16 12:36:43
Print Post

I wonder why your lines downstream SNR is sitting at 13db instead of 6db.... you could get more than the maximum (79999kbps) if this was to reduce.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 21-Jan-16 12:59:45
Print Post

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

Eh?

It isn't. Or at least we can assume it isn't, as it isn't shown. Are you looking at the Power figure?

How could he get more than the maximum anyway?

The question is why Andy woke the thread up seven months after the issue was resolved.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59997/15142kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 21-Jan-16 13:01:14
Print Post

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mlmclaren:
I wonder why your lines downstream SNR is sitting at 13db instead of 6db.... you could get more than the maximum (79999kbps) if this was to reduce.

Is it? I see it at 6.7dB

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to