General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ONe111
(newbie) Tue 09-Jun-15 13:38:21
Print Post

Broadband Checker update frequency

[link to this post]

Hi

We live a fair distance from our exchange and on a good day get 3MB download. Our housing estate has TPON and so we have struggled to get Fibre installed. After lots of hard work we finally got funding to have FTTP installed across the estate and over the last few months Openreach vans have been a common sight throwing fibre down for the service. I have a gained a worrying addiction to checking for FTTP availability using the various online checkers and wonder if I might be wasting my time if the checkers are only updated once a week/month. Does anyone know how often the databases get refreshed? I tend to check the openreach 'when and where' site, the bt infinity checker on the main BT website and also samknows.

Thanks in advance
Mike
Standard User PaulKirby
(experienced) Tue 09-Jun-15 13:50:00
Print Post

Re: Broadband Checker update frequency

[re: ONe111] [link to this post]

Well I know the BTOR Where and when page is updated weekly, as for the BT DSL Checker is probably the same due to most probably being linked to each other.

Paul
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 09-Jun-15 13:52:25
Print Post

[re: ONe111] [link to this post]

I always use this one, to add to your list. (There is a more colourful version of it with identical information updated at the same time. In other words just a new GUI to the same database).

I believe most checkers rely on this one, except for the Openreach When and Where wrt fibre. I think this relies on that but I'm not sure at the moment.

The updates to it seem to be daily so far as I can see.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 60000/16961kbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User PaulKirby
(experienced) Tue 09-Jun-15 13:56:35
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

The BT DSL checker gets its information from the BTOR Where and when database.

I know this, due to there was a couple of glitches that happened on the BTOR Where and when database and at the exact same time it also broke the BT DSL Checker, and this has happened way too many time to just be a coincidence.

Paul
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 09-Jun-15 13:58:48
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

I think that is only wrt the fibre side of things though, as I said. Am I definitely wrong?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 60000/16961kbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM
Standard User PaulKirby
(experienced) Tue 09-Jun-15 14:05:13
Print Post

I wouldn't say your wrong, no, probably not LOL.

I am just saying checking the BT DSL or BTOR Where and when makes no difference unless your checking for ADSLx speeds, only that on the BT DSL checker you can see ADSLx (and fibre if available) speeds, but there is no reason why they couldn't do the same with BTOR's Where and when page, the attribute is there in the returned data, they just haven't populated the data in it.

Paul
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 09-Jun-15 14:12:58
Print Post

I'm not sure you are right there. The BT Wholesale checker has been around for donkey's years, and adapted to add the Fibre information.

The Openreach When and Where has only existed since GEA came along. Not even initially on that. As I see it, it was introduced because of the demand for information demonstrated by the earlier email system they gave us. That was overwhelmed.

I doubt if it is interrogating the BTW database for xDSLx data.

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 09-Jun-15 14:13:55)

Standard User PaulKirby
(experienced) Tue 09-Jun-15 17:04:09
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
I'm not sure you are right there. The BT Wholesale checker has been around for donkey's years, and adapted to add the Fibre information.

The Openreach When and Where has only existed since GEA came along. Not even initially on that. As I see it, it was introduced because of the demand for information demonstrated by the earlier email system they gave us. That was overwhelmed.

I doubt if it is interrogating the BTW database for xDSLx data.
I am not saying that the BT DSL Checker hasn't been around for long or that it popped up when the Where and when page appeared, all I am saying is they are linked, I have seen several times now where there has been issues on the Where and when page like for example saying that everyone is on an EO Line when you checked by phone number (checks by address on both still worked) and at the same time the DSL Checker was saying the same, and when I reported it to BTOR it was fixed on both within seconds of each other if that.

Paul
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 09-Jun-15 17:22:58
Print Post

We have been fully agreed for a few posts that the BTW takes the Where and When for fibre.

What I'm saying is that whereas you think the Where and When has the data for xDSLx but doesn't show it, I'm saying it doesn't. BTW is reading OR, but OR isn't reading BTW. They don't both read a common database.

Standard User bobble_bob
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 09-Jun-15 17:51:16
Print Post

Any reason my ADSL2+ estimated speed has increased? Always was 8Mbps now its at 10Mbps. More people on Fibre so less crosstalk slowing things down perhaps?

Edited by bobble_bob (Tue 09-Jun-15 17:51:27)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to