General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User craigloon
(newbie) Thu 11-Jun-15 08:05:19
Print Post

FTTC home installation question

[link to this post]

So, we have finally got FTTC and I've signed up through my existing ISP! An Openreach engineer has been booked for two weeks times.

I am a little worried because we have (to me) a strange setup in the house and I want to avoid a situation where the engineer sucks his teeth and says xyz have to be done before he can install the FTTC faceplate and modem.

The drop line enters the house through our coal cellar on the ground floor, where it goes into an ancient looking grey plastic junction box. From here it splits into two cables that head off under the floorboards above to various parts of the house. There is one old-style BT socket in a 2nd floor room that I currently run my ADSL modem off. If you unscrew the faceplate it looks like a master socket, but I think it is really an extension. It does not have an engineers test socket as it is really old (probably early to mid-1990s). I don't think it is the actual master socket, as there are no extensions running off it.

Last year I discovered another socket under the floorboards in the eaves on the 1st floor, which I think is the actual master socket. There are extensions running off it and it is closer to the grey box in the coal cellar. This socket looks even more ancient. When we had a TalkTalk engineer around last year to see if he could replace the faceplate, he said he couldn't do that as the modern faceplates wouldn't fit it.

My question is this: How does the FTTC installation work? Will the Openreach engineer fit a new master socket and faceplate in a location of my choice? Or will I have to get another engineer in to rewire the whole setup?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 11-Jun-15 08:36:51
Print Post

Re: FTTC home installation question

[re: craigloon] [link to this post]

New master socket and a single data extension is included in the cost of the engineer install.

So a new master where the grey junction box is, and a 30m data extension to the location you want the modem maybe.

Or remove the bridge taps at the junction box and install master with faceplate at the current modem location.

In both cases you will be left to sort out or pay for someone to resolve the web of wiring. Though given the range of DECT now lots of extensions are often not needed any more.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 11-Jun-15 10:05:54
Print Post

It sounds as if you have star wiring from the grey junction box, which needs removing as MrSaffron says, but I thought that was automatic on an engineer install. Re the two sockets you tell us about, they sound like LJ 2/1A and LJ 2/3A as on this page.

With a similar messy layout, when I still had ADSL2+, I had a fault somewhere in the wiring after the wire reached my house but before or in the master. The engineer agreed with me it would be quicker and easier for her, and better for my purposes, for her to run a short wire externally from the house contact point to the far side of an upstairs bedroom, drill through the wall, and install a new modern NTE5/NTE5A. All my extensions were therefore automatically disconnected, which as MrSaffron says rarely matters these days.

I have seen reports of similar changes on these forums by Openreach engineers installing FTTC, as long as the free data extension kit, (Openreach call it a Home Wiring Solution), has been ordered.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 60000/16961kbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 11-Jun-15 10:07:54)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User craigloon
(newbie) Fri 12-Jun-15 18:51:50
Print Post

Thanks Mr Saffron and RobertoS. Sounds like I should be OK!
Standard User gazzyk1ns
(experienced) Sat 13-Jun-15 03:39:24
Print Post

Genuine question to all: What about if craigloon simply ripped out all of his internal telecomms wiring and boxes, and asked the engineer to install FTTC to where he wants it? Assuming he's got a router with a decent wireless signal, won't that be the end of all complications (current and future)?

If my house had telecomms wiring that messy then I'd probably want to start afresh; and this could be the easy opportunity to do so, that's all I'm saying. If all of my assumptions (Oh god, don't say it...) are correct, then the OR engineer won't have anything other than his/her job to do.

Edited by gazzyk1ns (Sat 13-Jun-15 03:40:07)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 13-Jun-15 07:58:46
Print Post

[re: gazzyk1ns] [link to this post]

Ripping out would break rules as no modern demarkation point but if done would have to be back to first junction box and leave you with no phone line

By rules engineer would fit faceplate at that location and if home wiring solution was ordered an up to 30m data extension

They dont do any other extensions unless you pay more

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User gazzyk1ns
(experienced) Sun 14-Jun-15 00:25:14
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Which rules does ripping out internal wiring break? I don't doubt you for a second, I just thought it was OK to do whatever you wanted with internal stuff. Unless you're renting and haven't got the landlord's permission, etc.

But still, as you've pointed out, I forgot about the telephone element of things, which was pretty short-sighted of me. It's a moot point, I'm only left wondering about the technicalities/legalities of doing what you want to do with your internal wiring

Edited by gazzyk1ns (Sun 14-Jun-15 00:26:38)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 14-Jun-15 00:56:43
Print Post

Everything up to the master socket, whatever kind or age it is, is Openreach stuff.

Given that the OP has star wiring before the master, I'm unsure where he stands wrt the extension wiring.

You are correct in thinking you can do anything (sensible) you want from the faceplate of an NTE5 onwards, but the OP does not have one.

You can also add extensions, within limits, to pre-NTE5 setups. BT used to sell kits to do that. I have a couple, and the instructions on how to do it.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 60000/16961kbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM
Standard User Galoka
(regular) Sun 14-Jun-15 09:16:14
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

We use to have a similar situation to the OP until we had FTTC installed.

He, after a quick check that no there wasn't a master socket, installed a new one where I asked. Which in my case was in a front porch, splitting the line, and connecting up the cable to rest of the house to the extension side of the NTE5. That suited me as it gave me easy access to the cellar where I could easily tap into the network (because of the house, a Wireless AP lives elsewhere in the house) and it kept the modem and the ISP router out of the way..

Other than checking that a phone worked ok, he left me to worry about whether all the phone worked.

I think technically, a lot of the internal wiring was actually BT's as when we moved in about 10 years ago and took on the phone service I remember we have a breakdown from BT of all the stuff in the house on the phone network that was 'theirs' including some of the extension sockets and a nice big old bell. I think though that they aren't bothered about that anymore.
Standard User eckiedoo
(experienced) Sun 14-Jun-15 10:02:22
Print Post

Although "obvious, you must not do anything on "your" side of the Master Socket, that would endanger the BT Network outside.

As a "daft example", don't feed Mains to it.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to