General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User shaneosborne
(experienced) Mon 15-Jun-15 15:05:21
Print Post

Fibre Rollout

[link to this post]

I currently have Sky's BB Unlimited Package and achieve speeds of 18MB/1.3MB.

I did previously have fibre but this was cancelled as my ADSL product offered the same download and a small increase in upload and the extra £15pm wasn't cost effective.

The fibre is FTTC and I was wondering if the infrastructure would be improved or are there any plans of new faster products?

It seems rather stupid to enable FTTC when the residents will have little gain. Just 100yds away, the next estate, they have FTTP. I'm assuming it is FTTP as all of the telegraph poles have green boxes on them and all of the overhead cables were replaced approx 2yrs ago.

Hayle, Cornwall. TR274NY
Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 15-Jun-15 18:50:17
Print Post

Re: Fibre Rollout

[re: shaneosborne] [link to this post]

What I think is a little odd is that having an 18Mbps ADSL connection you didn't "see" more with FTTC. You're clearly quite close to the exchange and even if the PCP is right outside I would have expected you to see somewhat faster speeds. Was this self-install FTTC? IF so did you check that your internal wiring doesn't have bridge taps or is in the form of a star?
Standard User Pgre
(experienced) Mon 15-Jun-15 19:25:09
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

Looking at that Postcode.. here are the estimates.

ELLIS WAY, HAYLE, TR27 4NY on Exchange HAYLE is served by Cabinet 6
High Low High Low
FTTC Range A (Clean) 30.2 20.8 7 5 -- Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted) 23.9 11.8 6.1 2.7 -- Available

So could be an impacted line also.. but it looks like quite a long line I suspect anyway with these results.

Regards PGre

Edited by Pgre (Mon 15-Jun-15 19:25:37)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User PaulKirby
(experienced) Mon 15-Jun-15 19:40:29
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

Cabinet 6 is located here: https://goo.gl/maps/eKTfG

Across the road from Penpol School, I virtual drove past it several times on Google Maps.

Paul
Standard User solchain
(newbie) Tue 16-Jun-15 08:56:57
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by PaulKirby:

Across the road from Penpol School, I virtual drove past it several times on Google Maps.

Paul

Go careful, you could get arrested for virtual driving past schools several times smile
Standard User PaulKirby
(experienced) Tue 16-Jun-15 13:57:49
Print Post

[re: solchain] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by solchain:
In reply to a post by PaulKirby:

Paul

Go careful, you could get arrested for virtual driving past schools several times smile
Tell me about it, I already got several virtual tickets tongue

Paul
Standard User solchain
(newbie) Tue 16-Jun-15 16:50:08
Print Post

Out of interest, in a situation like that where the existing cab is set back into the hedge, where could they put a fibre cab? all the paths look narrow, and the only sensible place I can see has an existing BT duct running through it.
Standard User PaulKirby
(experienced) Tue 16-Jun-15 16:58:27
Print Post

[re: solchain] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by solchain:
Out of interest, in a situation like that where the existing cab is set back into the hedge, where could they put a fibre cab? all the paths look narrow, and the only sensible place I can see has an existing BT duct running through it.
I would guess they would either dig up some more hedge and install the fibre cabinet or place the fibre cabinet to a more easier place, I live in East London and nowhere near that area, but I think there is already a fibre cabinet there, well I assume due to it listing fibre speeds.

Paul
Standard User shaneosborne
(experienced) Sun 09-Aug-15 19:22:46
Print Post

I've decided to update this post as i've noticed a notice on a telegraph, not far from my home.

I was hoping someone could help, if possible and whether or not these works are likely to offer me greater speeds than that I previously got on fibre. As you know, I reverted back to a standard service as the extra cost for a very small increase wasn't justified (see OP).

See link for photo;

Details: Job Number: XAABK16

Fibre Telegraph Notice

Many thanks in advance and thanks for those who previously offered advice.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 09-Aug-15 20:02:22
Print Post

[re: shaneosborne] [link to this post]

Best to ask the Superfast Cornwall people, they do various re-engineering there that does mean some areas that had slow FTTC subsequently get FTTP and if more likely if when you say green box you mean http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/fibre-cornwall/images/f...

That is a fibre splitter used in native FTTP areas.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to