General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ngibbs
(newbie) Wed 17-Jun-15 09:24:22
Print Post

Help needed with potential house move

[link to this post]

Hey guys,

Were thinking of putting an offer in on a house - but the problem is at present the village does not have fibre, and the house can only get between 1-4mb. (It's in a village). The exchange HAS been upgraded for fibre, and it appears as though BT are in the process of installing the cabinet for fibre.

The property postcode is RG170WL

I have seen the fibre cabinet being installed, and the property is served by cabinet 11

and on the roadworks map for the next two weeks in (Chilton Foliat, Hungerford, Wiltshire RG17, UK)

is the following:

- BDUK Install 1 of 1 way power duct in Verge,Performing an 1excavation to expose existing power cable in Verge
- Install 17m of 1 way poly duct in Verge,Provide 1 Provide/Recover 1 NGA Cab and base (1.5m x 0.5m)

My question is, based on the above information, does this mean the village is defintely getting fibre? My next is based on that information, can anyone make an informed decision on how long it would be until it's up and running. Finally my last question is, based on where the cabinet is (it's in the same place as the roadworks are taking place), with the property being around 1km from it, would it be able to recieve fibre?

Work from home is very critical for us, and this seems to be the only sticking point for putting in an offer atm.

Many Thanks in advance
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 17-Jun-15 12:00:15
Print Post

Re: Help needed with potential house move

[re: ngibbs] [link to this post]

At 1km FTTC speeds won't be great. What does this checker give using the Address option? The Postcode option is not recommended as a postcode can be served by several cabinets and it only gives one - not necessarily the one the user is on.

Using it, your postcode doesn't look good if you end up on ADSL2+ frown.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 58162/14182kbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 17-Jun-15 12:18:30
Print Post

All of RG17 0WL is served by cabinet 11 which is around 1km away as you spotted, and thus speeds in the 20 to 30 Mbps are most likely

As for time scale, could be 3 weeks or could be a year, until they dig and get the various elements working there is always the risk of the unknown.

So only move if you can cope with 1 to 4 Mbps type speeds for a potentially extended time, or wait for 1 to 2 months and if cab has gone live put your offer in.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User PaulKirby
(experienced) Wed 17-Jun-15 12:26:36
Print Post

All I can see on roadworks is the following:
Date: 16 Jun - 18 Jun
Location: (PCP11) 432131,169988432119,169997 OPPOSITE SIDE OF LITTLECOTE COTTAGE LITTLECOTE ON B4192 HUNGERFORD ROAD CHILTON FO
Description: Install 17m of 1 way poly duct in Verge,Provide 1 Provide\/Recover 1 NGA Cab and base (1.5m x 0.5m)
And
Date: 19 Jun - 23 Jun
Location: (PCP11) 432131,169989 OPP OSITE SIDE OF LITTLECOTE COTTAGE LITTLECOTE ON B4192 HUNGERFORD ROAD CHILTON FOLIAT RG17 0SX
Description: BDUK Install 1 of 1 way power duct in Verge,Performing an 1excavation to expose existing power cable in Verge
But where it says NGA I think that's a Fibre Cabinet, but don't quote me on that.

Also on the Wiltshire Council Site it says the following for your postcode:
RG17 0WL

INSTALLING NOW - The infrastructure that supplies your postcode has successfully passed the survey stage and is now being installed. Click on the INSTALLING NOW box above to find out more information.
Hope that helps a little.

Paul
  Print Thread

Jump to