General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User edwinm
(newbie) Wed 17-Jun-15 10:33:19
Print Post

Changing Cabinet

[link to this post]

Wondered if anyone has a method of getting moved from one cabinet to another.

I ask because when I first changed to Fibre my nearest cabinet was over 600 meters away.

Now a new Cabinet has just appeared less than 200 meters away which I'm sure would give me the extra speed.

Current Estimated Rates Exchange BRIXHAM is served by Cabinet 8
High Low High Low
FTTC Range A (Clean) 40 31.5 8 5.8
FTTC Range B (Impacted) 35 19.3 8 4

Actual BT Wholesale Broadband Performance Test
Download 38
Upload 6.29
Latency 35.88

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Currently on Plusnet Unlimited Fibre
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 17-Jun-15 10:39:31
Print Post

Re: Changing Cabinet

[re: edwinm] [link to this post]

Move House or plenty of money.

Apart from those two options it is extremely unlikely.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User TMCR
(committed) Wed 17-Jun-15 10:57:24
Print Post

Highly doubtful you'd get your line swapped. I tried with BT, and some local providers when Digital Region was active. The cabinet our house is connected to is about 1.2Km from the house, there are at least 6 closer. The local exchange is between us and our cabinet as well.

Expected speeds for FTTC were low, about 16meg at best. We were on 30meg Virgin at the time.

It's down to when the houses were built and/or when lines were first installed. There has been development all around us in the last 100 years since our house was built. But, your line stays where it was put. I was told it would impact upon neighbours too as they share a multi-pair cable from the cabinet to the nearest pole.

I disagreed with them as the swap should be made at the exchange end, not re-routing from the old cabinet, that would make it worse!

Nobody wanted to discuss putting a new line in from a cabinet just 100 metres away, I had to have service form the old cabinet, like it or lump it... frown

Virgin Cable (100/6) + EE Mobile BB

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Nightglow
(learned) Wed 17-Jun-15 11:55:57
Print Post

[re: TMCR] [link to this post]

I managed to get a phone line relocated from a pole at the front of house to another pole at the bottom of the rear garden, which knocked nearly 300 metre off the distance to the cabinet.

Had to write a letter to Sir Michael Rake, CEO of BT to have it done, so anything is possible.

Edited by Nightglow (Wed 17-Jun-15 11:56:29)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 18-Jun-15 00:51:08
Print Post

Are you sure it's a BT cabinet? Is there a matching phone cabinet? Pictures.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 58162/14182kbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM
Standard User btbert
(committed) Thu 18-Jun-15 20:42:49
Print Post

[re: Nightglow] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Nightglow:
I managed to get a phone line relocated from a pole at the front of house to another pole at the bottom of the rear garden, which knocked nearly 300 metre off the distance to the cabinet.

Had to write a letter to Sir Michael Rake, CEO of BT to have it done, so anything is possible.
Yep but if off the same cab no big deal , moving on to a other cab could well be as will need some new cable at best and most likely new duct as well ££££ .

these comments are my own and in no way represent any company that i may or may not be linked too.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2420497773.png
  Print Thread

Jump to