General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User woodmass14
(newbie) Wed 17-Jun-15 23:10:40
Print Post

When can i get fibre??

[link to this post]

Hi there, i was wondering if anyone could tell me a rough date of when i;ll get fibre, i checked the when and where page a couple of months ago and it said id get it in the next 6 months but then checked again a couple of weeks ago and its moved upto 18 months now!! the surprise i got! ive tried contacting openreach with an email right back saying it failed,

this is a copy and paste of the email i sent them as i have more question to ask plus some details you may need for those going to help me out smile.

Email follows

Hi there ive been keeping an eye on the when and where internet page, when i typed in my phone number it said fibre would be available within the next 6 months but checked again today and now its at "with you in 18 months" whats going on there?

My telephone number is [removed to protect privacy]
Samknows
Exchange details
Exchange name: Lochmaben
Exchange code: WSLON
Postcode: DG111PP

Could you tell me an estimated month or day when fibre may be available in my area and also could you tell me where my nearest cabinet is at? i am connected to cabinet 1 but want to know the exact location to see if fibre would even be possible for me as i'm on a reasonably long line and i know that adsl comes from the exchange and not through the cabinet so would like an estimated location or a postcode to see or estimate a distance for my self to see if its worth even thinking or getting exited about getting fibre

Thanks regards
dont use home phone (not even connected) so don't care if anyone sees it smile
Thanks in advance for your time

Edited by MrSaffron (Wed 17-Jun-15 23:18:33)

Standard User PaulKirby
(experienced) Wed 17-Jun-15 23:22:20
Print Post

Re: When can i get fibre??

[re: woodmass14] [link to this post]

What's your postcode?

Also when you say the email failed, what error message did you get, due to I email BT Openreach on and off without any issues.

Paul
Standard User woodmass14
(newbie) Wed 17-Jun-15 23:26:34
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Hi thanks for getting back to me paul. my post code is DG11 1TA

It also looks like my phone number was removed for privacy, if anyone needs it i;ll pm you it

And here is the response i got back from email

Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:

nga.enquiries@openreach.co.uk

Technical details of permanent failure:
Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the server for the recipient domain openreach.co.uk by smtpb1.bt.com. [62.7.242.136].

The error that the other server returned was:
550 5.1.1 User unknown

Edited by woodmass14 (Wed 17-Jun-15 23:29:52)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 17-Jun-15 23:29:36
Print Post

Believe this is cabinet 1, just outside the telephone exchange https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@55.128802,-3.441131,3...

Cannot confirm your distance from a telephone number, and have removed it to stop search engines grabbing it.

Your line length is likely to be too long for VDSL2, based on the poor ADSL Max estimate and that would make me guess you live in Templand.

The cabinet is part of the Digital Scotland roll-out, but little point wasting more time as VDSL2 is not going to help those in Templand. If you are halfway e.g. DG11 1TD then there might be a small improvement at around 2km distance but nothing guaranteed.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User PaulKirby
(experienced) Wed 17-Jun-15 23:30:28
Print Post

Ok, Checking Postcode now.

That email no longer exists.

I will PM you a valid one in a sec.

Paul
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 17-Jun-15 23:31:13
Print Post

When the commercial roll-out wound down they stopped that account, Digital Scotland should be giving you the answers now.

That postcode at the very best might get 5 Mbps from FTTC, but at 3km I would call that optimistic.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User woodmass14
(newbie) Wed 17-Jun-15 23:33:20
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

well funnly enough ive got a line rate of 7200kbps and an ip profile of 6 megs and reach that 6 megs on speedtests most of the time, the adsl checker from bt is completely wrong about what my expected speeds should be and was happily surprised when i done a speed test, if you want some router stats let me know if that helps my case and hopes smile
Standard User PaulKirby
(experienced) Wed 17-Jun-15 23:36:24
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
When the commercial roll-out wound down they stopped that account, Digital Scotland should be giving you the answers now.

That postcode at the very best might get 5 Mbps from FTTC, but at 3km I would call that optimistic.
Well the OP will most probably have an issue looking up their postcode on the HIE site due to the BTOR Where and when pages API TLS/SSL Certificate has broken, I have reported it, not sure when it will get resolved.

Paul
Standard User woodmass14
(newbie) Wed 17-Jun-15 23:44:59
Print Post

Im sorry im not very literate when it comes to broadband talk so have no clue what most of that means lol but do you think openreach might put a cabinet in templand as there are around 300 residents (my estimate) that live outside lochmaben on the route the link takes, ive also had a look in the phonebook to see where the line stops and found that 3 villages also use this one line, one of them being millhousebridge, i figure this wont be financially viable for bt or openreach so not getting my hopes up
Oh and no i live outside templand, im probably closer to the cabinet/exchange than the folks in templand

Edited by woodmass14 (Wed 17-Jun-15 23:47:58)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 17-Jun-15 23:46:17
Print Post

On the ADSL estimate from the original poster, yes no surprise to see a good speed, as at around 2 to 3km, good lines can be seen to get 6 to 7 Mbps.

Alas VDSL2 uses higher frequencies and will perform worse over that sort of distance.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to