General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User eiblek
(newbie) Fri 19-Jun-15 18:16:28
Print Post

FTTC - New Build Estate (Enabled Area)

[link to this post]

I have just come across this forum after a bit of googling and seen a few members providing extra details on cabinets and upgrades for Fibre.

I have had a nightmare with broadband having come from VirginMedia. There is a cabinet on my estate which was done in phases so it actually took me 6 months to get a phone line. The good news is that I now have broadband but sadly it is only 2Mbps.

I have spoken with open reach engineers and also looking at "Connecting Cheshire" which says my area should have Fibre but since I am a new build I don't know how this would work. 1 engineer told me my cabinet is "provisioned" for Fibre so not sure what that means.

The open reach site says I am in an enabled area but for about 2 weeks it did say under review but it is now back to enabled area.

Does anyone have any idea on how long a new build estate takes before the cabinet has fibre? I would love FTTP but I would gladly settle for FTTC

The estate has 300+ homes now I think, a guess would be 200 remaining if that makes any difference.

This is my cabinet ;

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.381292,-2.550803,3...

This is on Powder Mill road, not sure how to get the cabinet number so if that is needed will I find it on the box externally?

There is also a Fibre cabinet just outside the estate around 200 yards away on Thelwall Lane. I think Virgin media is also on the same road but I am still stuck with 2Mbps.

Can anyone help?

I am considering satellite broadband which is a 12 month contract but if it is likely I get FTTC within the next 6 months I would wait to save the cost.

Thanks
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 19-Jun-15 18:53:28
Print Post

Re: FTTC - New Build Estate (Enabled Area)

[re: eiblek] [link to this post]

Best way to get your cabinet number is https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html and enter your telephone number.

Believe the cabinet at 17 Powder Mill Road, is actually cabinet 205 on the Warrington LVWAR exchange and it is not currently fibre enabled. Believe there are plans from the Cheshire BDUK project to add a fibre twin, and without visiting the area to see if the fibre twin is in place difficult to say, contacting the Cheshire people directly should be the correct route.

WA4 1NS which is just around the corner is on a different cab (42) and that is enabled, which may explain the 'area' stuff.

A new build estate will depend a lot on what the developer did, it could be anything from a month to never, i.e. there are no guarantees and while the presence of cab 205 (if that is your own) on the Cheshire plans is a good sign, still no guarantee that the plans will not change.

The fibre cabinet at https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.381256,-2.553067,3... on Thelwall Road will be for cabinet 102 and nothing to do with you.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User PaulKirby
(experienced) Fri 19-Jun-15 19:02:40
Print Post

Seems that your possibly on cabinet 205 but that's just a guess.

What's your postcode?

If your on cabinet 205 then your area may be "Under evaluation for fibre upgrade" I cannot see any dates.

*** update 1 ***
It also seems that there is a DSLAM listed: S/O 11, STREET SIDE DSLAM CAB NNCJJN, POWDER MILL ROAD, WARRINGTON, WA4 1GB for cabinet 205.

*** update 2 ***
And the only BT work I can see on your exchange is way away from the cabinet you linked to.
Date: 19 Jun - 2 Jul
Location: S/O 52 STRINGER CRESCENT, WARRINGTON, CHESHIRE, WA4 1QL
Description: ERECT AN NGA 96 STREET CABINET, EXCAVATE AND LAY 24M IN F/W, PERFORM EXCAVATION FOR POWER JOINT, AWAIT JOINTER, REINSTATE
So I don't this that's for your cabinet.

Paul

Edited by PaulKirby (Fri 19-Jun-15 19:35:41)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User eiblek
(newbie) Fri 19-Jun-15 20:02:45
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

My postcode is WA4 1GE but for some reason on the open reach site when I search for that it has me 10-15 miles away so it would be best to search on WA4 1GF.
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Fri 19-Jun-15 20:05:22
Print Post

Bot side of the road (both postcodes) seem to be served by cab 205.
According to
http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.Addres...
Standard User eiblek
(newbie) Fri 19-Jun-15 20:08:30
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by WWWombat:
According to

Thanks, I have tried searching for number previously but it never worked,said it didn't exist.

So is it looking unlikely that I will be getting Fibre any time soon?

Also thanks to all for such speedy responses!!!

Edited by eiblek (Fri 19-Jun-15 20:11:01)

Standard User PaulKirby
(experienced) Fri 19-Jun-15 20:45:50
Print Post

In reply to a post by eiblek:
My postcode is WA4 1GE but for some reason on the open reach site when I search for that it has me 10-15 miles away so it would be best to search on WA4 1GF.
We only needed your postcode to locate what cabinet your on, and my guess was correct, seems you are on cabinet 205.

Paul
Standard User PaulKirby
(experienced) Fri 19-Jun-15 20:51:48
Print Post

In reply to a post by WWWombat:
According to

Thanks, I have tried searching for number previously but it never worked,said it didn't exist.

So is it looking unlikely that I will be getting Fibre any time soon?

Also thanks to all for such speedy responses!!!
I will PM you...

Paul
Standard User Nightglow
(learned) Fri 19-Jun-15 20:56:29
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by PaulKirby:
We only needed your postcode to locate what cabinet your on, and my guess was correct, seems you are on cabinet 205.

Paul

You can check here for you cabinet.

https://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm
Standard User eiblek
(newbie) Fri 19-Jun-15 21:04:25
Print Post

[re: Nightglow] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Nightglow:
In reply to a post by PaulKirby:

Paul

You can check here for you cabinet.

https://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm

Thanks Paul, just checked and it says; FTTC Planned (exchange ready 2nd June 2014) P205 100%.

Could they be doing work because I know my connection is slow but for the last 5-7 days I have been getting loss.

I might just be turning that into wishful thinking I will be getting Fibre any time soon laugh
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to