General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User woodmass14
(newbie) Sat 20-Jun-15 14:06:00
Print Post

Fibre and New technology for long line users?

[link to this post]

Hi there, i posted here a few days ago for when i'd get fibre, i then had it hit me that when i do get fibre i will not have access to the gold it offers so my question is, does anyone know of any new technology being tested for those on long lines? i know of a new video compression company named vnova have created a new technology that allows better compression of video so that those with poor internet speed can watch hd content with ease but have no clue when they will roll out this tech. Anyone heard or seen anything of new tech going or if they may know if companies like bt/openreach are even looking into long line solutions.
Thanks
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 20-Jun-15 14:55:56
Print Post

Re: Fibre and New technology for long line users?

[re: woodmass14] [link to this post]

yes looking into long line situations and the question is usually how much do you want to spend.

http://blog.thinkbroadband.com/2014/10/g-fast-shows-... G.Fast is one option, as are smaller fibre cabinets using VDSL2 that can be deployed remotely.

Though at the end of the day the problem is not technical because FTTP will work for any line, the only issue is the cost of getting fibre all the way to the premises.

As the pressure is on value for money, fast roll-out etc etc then for now the main bulk of work is FTTC as deploys fast and a relatively sensible price.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sat 20-Jun-15 15:04:33
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

g.fast for long lines means more fibre so means costs more money, I would guess g.fast will be targeted at high density short line areas for maximum value for money.

In BDUK areas it seems vectoring will be used to improve coverage although I expect the gains from that wont be big since vectoring is best used on short lines.

Plusnet Fibre Unlimited BQM - IPv4 BQM - IPv6

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 20-Jun-15 15:08:51
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

Yeap it all comes down to money, if we adopted South Korean tower blocks for 75% of population broadband would be easier.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User woodmass14
(newbie) Sat 20-Jun-15 15:21:44
Print Post

Quite an interesting read, if you know of others please send links my way, ive tried googling these things myself but i most likely over complicate the search and comes back with random pages, If one could afford FTTP on a 3km line, would openreach allow it? if so any idea of a price range, ive tried googling that also but cant seem to find prices for how much fibre cable would cost to install
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 20-Jun-15 15:32:43
Print Post

For SME and consumer there was a product called Fibre on Demand that could be ordered if your cabinet provided FTTC - but looking at £4000+ for 3km line. Orders are on hold while new cheaper ways to run the fibre, e.g. plug connectors rather than fusion splicing joints.

Leased lines or Ethernet usually for business are available practically anywhere but carry a large fee more than FoD and higher monthly fees.

Another option is http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/6773-fibre-to-the...

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 20-Jun-15 15:39:21
Print Post

It sounds from the Openreach email in your previous thread that your cabinet is getting FTTC.

That would mean a tiny chance of getting something called FTTPoD, which I believe is still temporarily closed for new orders. At 1.8km from the cabinet, so probably similar from what is called an "aggregation point", you would be looking at over £7,000 installation and over £100pm rental. Though you would get 330/30Mbps - if you find an ISP selling FTTPoD. Probably only BT.

All subject to a feasibility survey and resultant estimate if it can be done.

I expect that's not a lot of good to you.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 58162/14182kbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 20-Jun-15 15:43:10
Print Post

I think you are looking at a pre-May 2014 price list Andrew. Previous + Current.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 58162/14182kbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 20-Jun-15 15:43:30)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 20-Jun-15 15:45:39
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Actually was a off the top of the head figure rather than off price list.

Standard User woodmass14
(newbie) Sat 20-Jun-15 15:47:06
Print Post

Thats isn't expensive as i thought it would be, i know a lot of people living around me at the moment are getting terrible broadband speeds, i may look into that and wonder if people might pitch in to get fast broadband for our area, i don't know how that would work as openreach was most likely have to put another cabinet closer to those outside lochmaben and have no clue how much one of those would cost and dont think gfast would do as us rural folk are spread around a 2km area if my house was the centre. most of us have bought our houses so its not easy just up and moving, ive been here 11 years and broadband wasn't that big back then, just very slow dial up, if i'd known i wouldn't have purchased the house.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to