General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User woodmass14
(newbie) Sat 20-Jun-15 15:51:58
Print Post

Re: Fibre and New technology for long line users?

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Yes openreach responded back after asking when my exchange would be upgraded to FTTC and said it would happen in November
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 20-Jun-15 17:45:17
Print Post

[re: woodmass14] [link to this post]

Enabling your exchange isn't the same thing as enabling your cabinet.

The price I gave is correct for what Openreach charge BT Wholesale. Then there is no doubt a markup by them and BT. Then I forgot to add the Vat, sorry, as those are ex-Vat - see the link I gave.

That would be a single feed to your premises. Not a closer cabinet installation to speed up the whole area. That would be a different ball game altogether, but some communities have clubbed together and done it. IIRC it's £40k+

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 58162/14182kbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM
Standard User woodmass14
(newbie) Sat 20-Jun-15 18:51:52
Print Post

Yes i'll certainly do some research on it and then speak to my neighbours and those close to me, there is about 300 of us so 40k spread between those households might not be to bad for everyone to pitch in , i think before i commit to anything i'll wait for the cabinet im on to be upgraded to FTTC and i'll see what kind of speeds i get after its enabled,
Thanks for all your info

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 20-Jun-15 19:04:40
Print Post

IIRC it's £40k+
In our case we've paid c£19K for an all-in-one cab to serve 75+ EO lines. Fibre is available fairly close which helped keep the cost down as did the use of an all-in-one cabinet. Installation however is still some months off.
Standard User Icaras
(member) Sat 20-Jun-15 19:38:51
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

Can't give any sources but I heard talk recently of a premium option involving G.fast,

Standard G.fast will be one pair only, so I interpreted the premium option to involve pair bonding. I could be completely wrong and the person might have actually been talking about FTTP but he did say "premium option for ultrafast copper".

If they are exploring bonding then this could definitely be used for long lines. In fact I don't know why Openreach don't have a solution involving two or more pairs for long lines.
Standard User woodmass14
(newbie) Sat 20-Jun-15 20:22:26
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

Interesting. Are these 75+ residents close to each other? as my problem is is that those living outside lochmaben are split all over the place, if bt where to put a new cabinet down i'd have an idea of where they'd put it as there is a centralised spot which would put people within the 1km range(the copper line also follows this centralized spot) I know it doesn't quite work like that but even bringing a cabinet closer to those outside of lochmaben will increase speed exponentially for those getting 1 meg or slower, im quite lucky really getting 6 megs but still isn't enough these days unfortunately
Standard User burble
(learned) Sat 20-Jun-15 21:01:14
Print Post

There is no technology to help you out, G.Fast and such like only works on short lines, the only hope is that at some time fibre will be laid closer to your house, I'm in the same situation, at a meeting last year openreach made all sorts of 'hints' that FTTrn and such like would be employed on the second phase of BDUK, now we've found out this was just to shut us up and no such thing was ever intended.
Standard User woodmass14
(newbie) Sat 20-Jun-15 21:15:38
Print Post

[re: burble] [link to this post]

Yes i thought so, guess my only hope will be 4g, currently getting 6 megs over 3g just now so im getting my hopes up for 4g and mobile broadband, think that may be our only option for us rural folk.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sat 20-Jun-15 21:28:49
Print Post

[re: Icaras] [link to this post]

Assuming they power cut back the vdsl2 frequencies then it still will be useless for longer lines.

Plusnet Fibre Unlimited BQM - IPv4 BQM - IPv6
Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 20-Jun-15 21:37:15
Print Post

Are these 75+ residents close to each other?
Yes. Our situations aren't really comparable. We're a late 80s development in central London over 2Km from the exchange. Being in London there is currently no BDUK funding to help so after considering various possibilities, not just BT, we signed for BT to provide us with FTTC.

A driving force was both property rentals and values were falling behind those of similar properties in the area most of them having access to not only FTTC but also VM. BTW we are not in an affluent part of London (Lambeth) but the amount each of us has paid is small relative to the loss of value and rents.

I would have hoped that phase 2 of BDUK, in your case Digital Scotland, might address your problem once the easier and cheaper targets have been provisioned.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to