General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Trebby
(newbie) Mon 22-Jun-15 11:05:12
Print Post

Cabinet information query

[link to this post]

Dear all,

Thanks for taking the time to read this and hopefully help out! I appreciate that there are a few of these posts in the forum already. We are due to move house shortly. In the area we are moving to, it looks like nearly all the cabinets are fibre enabled apart from ours (typical) and just a couple of others. The exchange is Ranmoor and the cabinet that our street is connected to is 8.

Research so far reveals that there is definitely a fibre cabinet in place, but this appears to have been there for many months without any further progress.

As we will need to sign up to a broadband contract, I'm wondering whether anybody has any suggestions/information as to when it will be activated. If it is going to be a long time then I will just sign up with a standard broadband package...

I'd be very grateful for any information that anybody can provide.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 22-Jun-15 11:22:36
Print Post

Re: Cabinet information query

[re: Trebby] [link to this post]

Two cabinets it might be as there is P8 and PE8

S10 3LZ on Exchange RANMOOR is served by Cabinet 8 has a placeholder date of 30th June 2015, so might be very soon, or might be delayed again.

PE8 has no expected dates attached to it.

Best people in place to answer the question are those working for the BDUK project covering South Yorkshire.

NOTE: Many providers will let you upgrade to fibre within the contract term, so pick your ADSL2+ provider based on who you will most likely order fibre from and check what their terms will be if you upgrade in say 3 months time.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Trebby
(newbie) Mon 22-Jun-15 11:39:48
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Many thanks for the reply. Obviously I'm not exactly sure how these things work, but we are quite close to cabinet 8, and quite a long way from cabinet PE8 (it's on the other side of the exchange I think) so hopefuly we are connected to 8. I've been watching the 30th June date with anticipation, but worried it may just pass by. We will see.

I'll try to contact South Yorkshire Broadband and see if I can find out from them.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 22-Jun-15 12:13:06
Print Post

If you look at S10 3PU on roadworks.org there is some pavement resurfacing going on in July no mention of BT but might be tied up with work on connecting the old and new cabinets and or power.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Trebby
(newbie) Mon 22-Jun-15 12:18:14
Print Post

Ok I will keep my eye on the area! I've emailed South Yorkshire Broadband, so I'll post back here if I get a response in case anybody else is on this cabinet.
Many thanks again.
Standard User Trebby
(newbie) Wed 24-Jun-15 09:52:39
Print Post

So I had a reply from "Superfast South Yorkshire" as follows:

"The cabinet at S10 3LZ (Ranmoor 8) is part of the commercial roll out and upon various checks (screen image can be found below) the cabinet is scheduled to become fibre enabled from the end of the month.

The Superfast South Yorkshire programme is separate from any commercial activity and exists to plug the gap where the commercial market either has not or does not intent to invest in superfast broadband.

If you have any further queries regarding deployment we advise that you speak to your internet service provider and/or Openreach, as commercial areas are not part of the Superfast South Yorkshire remit."

I will obviously wait for the end of the month, though I don't hold my breath. Is it possible to contact Openreach or can they only be contacted via ISPs?
Thanks

Edited by Trebby (Wed 24-Jun-15 09:52:58)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 24-Jun-15 10:01:35
Print Post

Dates like 30-June-15 are the ones most likely to end up moving...they are called placeholder dates where a cab is still in the commercial programme but something is delaying it.

So it will happen but when cannot be sure.

Have chased in the past, but response times are slowing down now to the point its not worth asking, i.e. two months for answers.

Standard User Trebby
(newbie) Thu 13-Aug-15 10:45:26
Print Post

Further update on this. So the fibre activation date was pushed back to March 2016 (not surprised). But interestingly I just went on Codelook and the postcode for the fibre cabinet (8) has changed. It has moved about 100m down the road. I find this odd as there is already a cabinet (albeit without power) at the previous postcode. Does that mean they have hit difficulties and had to plan to relocate the cabinet?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 13-Aug-15 12:47:06
Print Post

No idea what codelook does but the existing copper cab is at https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.3739099,-1.5406922...

So its fibre twin will be within 50 to 100m of that location.

Standard User Trebby
(newbie) Thu 13-Aug-15 13:08:44
Print Post

Ok, will wait and see where the functioning cabinet eventually appears!
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to