General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Gal12
(learned) Tue 23-Jun-15 11:01:00
Print Post

BT FTTH (fibre-only) activation problem

[link to this post]

Sorry for brevity, posting from phone...email received this morning stating BT infinity voice and bband services ready to be activated. I'm asked to look for a solid green light on a tel port on the modem; it's not lit at all. Has anybody solved something similar before having to call BT and risking my sanity?
Standard User brightd
(experienced) Tue 23-Jun-15 11:05:32
Print Post

Re: BT FTTH (fibre-only) activation problem

[re: Gal12] [link to this post]

Mt FTTH connection was completed with the engineer at the premises after the completion of the part 2 install. Do you have a different situation?

If you do have to call BT then note that most of them know nothing about FTTH. There is a dedicated team, I think in Dundee, but it is difficult to get to them.

David

Infinity 2 over FTTP from BTBroadband
Standard User Gal12
(learned) Tue 23-Jun-15 11:24:38
Print Post

[re: brightd] [link to this post]

Thanks David - painful experience of how little they know of FTTH and that's not been the worst part of the saga. The email i have this morning states explicitly that my services are ready, only activation required, nothing about yet another engineer visit required.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 23-Jun-15 11:30:57
Print Post

FTTH needs two visits - first installs the fibre to the outside of the property, the second will run the fibre from the outside to the location where you wanted the fibre modem installed and they will bring that bit of hardware with them.

It may be that the backend systems are ready and just needs the engineer to attend to do the final linking of the optical hardware together.

What hardware have you been given already? If it is JUST a HomeHub 5 then you probably have a FTTC based service.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User brightd
(experienced) Tue 23-Jun-15 11:40:25
Print Post

FTTP(H) Installation is in 2 parts (or 3 if you include any groundwork that is required). On the firstly visit the fibre is pulled from the manifold to a box on the outside of the house. On the second visit the fibre is connected from the box outside the house to the ONTE (fibre modem) on the inside of the house. In my case the engineer did not leave until the connection to the HH5 (plugged into the ONTE) was working.

So did the engineer arrive previously and complete the internal fibre installation from the box on the outside of the house and install and connect up the ONTE? If so I have to assume that he left without completing the connection which seems very strange.

David

Standard User Gal12
(learned) Tue 23-Jun-15 11:58:40
Print Post

Think you have it right, David. Last visit was to put the fibre modem on the wall in the cupboard. I wasn't there at the time but he left with it powered on and the two leftmost lights showing green, no voice or internet. No idea if he even looked at the HH5. That works in as much as i can access the admin setup so it can mock my lack of internet connection all over again!

My instincts tell me that i've received an automated email that has been sent prematurely.
Standard User brightd
(experienced) Tue 23-Jun-15 12:03:41
Print Post

For my install the phone portion was not activated until some time later. Have you tried connecting the Wan port of the HH5 to the ONTE socket next to the fibre and seeing what happens if the 2 left lights are on?

David

Standard User Gal12
(learned) Tue 23-Jun-15 12:41:05
Print Post

In reply to a post by brightd:
Have you tried connecting the Wan port of the HH5 to the ONTE socket next to the fibre and seeing what happens if the 2 left lights are on?

Just tried it, connecting to any of the ONTE ports turns on the corresponding green light, the HH5 light stays red.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 23-Jun-15 22:19:00
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

FTTH needs two visits -

Not so in some cases any more. There are couple of new estates round here (Wokingham) which are FTTP only, no copper. The fibre is already there as is the ONTE and BBU. The ONTE serial number is already input in the system, so the new owner just has to order what they wish, and it just gets activated.....

Well that's the theory anyway wink

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 23-Jun-15 22:20:20
Print Post

I suspect there has been some issue, be brave and speak with BT Retail, I realise life is too short for this, but they are the correct folk to speak to.

Good luck.

Print Thread

Jump to