General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User WillCalderwood
(newbie) Tue 23-Jun-15 16:45:02
Print Post

Possible Problem?

[link to this post]

Our cabinet to marked to be upgraded in December. The status changed to "Enabled Area" in January. I spoke to PlusNet then and they said it should change to "Accepting Orders" any day now, when that happens, give them a call.

6 months later and the status is still "EA". There are stickers on the cabinets saying fibre is available and we're about 100m from the exchange. I know houses further from the exchange have been accepting orders for months, including houses 50m further down our road.

Is this normal? Is it possible that OpenReach have just failed to update the status of the cabinet after doing the work? Is there some way I can chase this up?

The postcode is OX331XP..

Cheers,
Will

Edited by WillCalderwood (Tue 23-Jun-15 17:05:58)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 23-Jun-15 16:50:30
Print Post

Re: Possible Problem?

[re: WillCalderwood] [link to this post]

What does this checker say for your phone number? (Use the Address Option if your phone line is LLU. Don't use the pure Postcode checker).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 58162/14182kbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM
(newbie) Tue 23-Jun-15 16:56:16
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
What does this checker say for your phone number? (Use the Address Option if your phone line is LLU. Don't use the pure Postcode checker).

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 17 -- 10 to 19.5 Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 17 Up to 1.5 10 to 19.5 Available
ADSL Max Up to 7.5 -- 6.5 to 8 Available
WBC Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available
Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available
Other Offerings
Copper Multicast -- -- -- Available

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 23-Jun-15 16:57:08
Print Post

Ah, I've found it. I hadn't spotted the detail you gave.

Sounds like a problem with the cabinet. (Cab 13 you are on, is that the one you see?). It could be a blocked cable duct, or power supply difficulty.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 58162/14182kbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM
(newbie) Tue 23-Jun-15 17:00:08
Print Post

Yes, it's cabinet 13.

Any idea about how long it might take to sort out problems? I'm contemplating Virgin right now - but I really don't want to go down that route. I'll make a point of never signing up with Virgin because of all the marketing letters they send me!
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 23-Jun-15 17:04:29
Print Post

OK, that's the same as I found.

If you go to the Address option in the link I gave then ignore all the asterisked boxes except the Postcode box, enter your postcode there and it comes up with an address list. Which is how I found the info.

(I suggest you delete your house number from the OP now. No-one will need it).

From that list, choose one that you know has FTTC. Make sure it's the same cabinet number as yours, that's on the line above the table. If it isn't, try a few more either side of you and opposite.

See what it says about them for FTTC.

(newbie) Tue 23-Jun-15 17:16:48
Print Post

All the houses that have FTTC further up and down the road seem to be on different cabinets. About 10 houses in one direction (Cabinet 2) and 20 houses in the other. (Cabinet 5) frown
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 23-Jun-15 17:27:33
Print Post

I suggest you go and find cabinet 13 and see if there are any signs of action, or obvious difficulty there finding a site for the fibre partner.

Are there any houses at all on cab 13 apart from you? Is it possible yours was a Show House years ago on a newish estate?

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
(newbie) Tue 23-Jun-15 17:39:18
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
I suggest you go and find cabinet 13 and see if there are any signs of action, or obvious difficulty there finding a site for the fibre partner.

Are there any houses at all on cab 13 apart from you? Is it possible yours was a Show House years ago on a newish estate?

All the houses around us are on 13. Here's cabinet 13
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.746515,-1.139249,3...

And the square building down the end of that track is the telephone exchange. I've seen a lot of OpenReach vans parked around there over the last few months, but with that being the exchange you'd expect to see them there.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 23-Jun-15 17:47:14
Print Post

Cabinet 13 is at https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.746515,-1.139249,3...

So not sure what the delay is - other than engineers being busy doing other cabinets

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to