General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User guppy02
(newbie) Fri 26-Jun-15 13:21:19
Print Post

Fibre availability. Help?

[link to this post]

Im hoping someone might be able to expand BT Openreach reaponse on a checker. I am moving house shortly, i currently have fibre from plusnet and receive very good connection speeds.

So our new house is semi rural. When i used a phone number for a neighbouring business it says the following.
FTTC is currently not available on this cabinet due to following reasons:- Sorry it's taking us longer than planned to get your cabinet ready for service. Please bear with us.

When i check the cabinet quoted i found it to be some distance from the property but the 2nd fibre cab is in place and from checking other business connected to it they can receive fibre.
There is a new housing development taking place very close to us. So could this be the reason for the delay?

The standard broadband speeds indicate a max of 4mb so I am reluctant to sign up for poor speeds. As an intrim solution i am planning to use 4g with EE but with data caps i don't want to rely on it long term.

Help anyone?
Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 26-Jun-15 13:39:00
Print Post

Re: Fibre availability. Help?

[re: guppy02] [link to this post]

Without more information such as details as to the exchange and cab number only a psychic will be able to help.

However as Andrew says on a regular basis, if broadband is important to you, when looking to move make any decisions on what is currently available rather than what may or may not be promised for the future.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 26-Jun-15 13:57:38
Print Post

Sometimes a fibre cab can be in place for a year before its ready to use, i.e. needs power, copper cable links and fibre linked to it.

Are those other addresses on the same cabinet?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User guppy02
(newbie) Fri 26-Jun-15 15:00:57
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

I didn't want to share to much info on the here. I would imagine the new properties are on the same cabinet. They are just to the back of us. If its the same cabinet why are some premises getting fttc and other arent. That is what i don't understand.

Do they install new cabinets for new builds?

Broadband is not an essential for our new house. I just don't want sub standard broadband smile after fibre for 18 month. EE have excellent 4g coverage so ill use that till BT upgrade.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 26-Jun-15 15:04:47
Print Post

Dangerous to presume there is not absolute pattern hence the need for detail so people can look

For all we know the developer might be paying for a FTTP install on the new builds.

So yes some new builds get cabinets and some don't, some get stuck with whatever ADSL2+ speed was available. Others get a developer who enter into various agreements with BT for something better or an alternative provider like Virgin Media, IFNL or others.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to