General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User 8skellerns
(experienced) Sun 28-Jun-15 12:06:02
Print Post

Superfast broadband to become available in parts of this are

[link to this post]

I live 1 mile from a fibre backbone, and 1.5 miles from my cabinet (not enabled) The mile/mile 1/2 of cable (100 pairs) from my DP to the cabinet is a armoured cable, buried in the grass verge. My council claims "Superfast broadband to become available in parts of this area from late 2016 onwards. Specific timescales to be determined" for my Postcode.

Can anyone help/give info as to how/if I will get it, as im very doubtful BT will dig up the grass verge and install ducting!
Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 28-Jun-15 12:40:28
Print Post

Re: Superfast broadband to become available in parts of this

[re: 8skellerns] [link to this post]

if I will get it
For a start it would help others who might be able to help if you were to provide some details such as the exchange name and cab number to which you are connected.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 28-Jun-15 12:41:28
Print Post

Based on lack of location information one can only guess.

1. Enable the cabinet and hope you get some speed uplift from VDSL2, those closer will of course benefit and no law that says everyone has to get superfast when a cabinet is enabled. Council may not have done the distance checks

2. Maybe in line for a FTTP roll-out to cover your property, more likely if project has already been doing FTTP elsewhere and you are part of a tightly knit cluster a long way from the cab and project is looking for high 90's coverage.

3. Maybe break into the buried cable and install a new PCP with fibre twin to reduce the 1.5 mile to something a lot less, but depends on the premises this would help. T

All boils down to value for money and whether others can be helped for cheaper elsewhere.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 8skellerns
(experienced) Mon 29-Jun-15 00:47:38
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Im on Twycross exchange, Cabinet 2. The mile and a half of cable from the PCP is ducted 1/2 mile, then goes down a country lane 1 mile past nothing but fields. It terminates in a big pod full of connectors down a hole in the path (flooded with water!) where my DP pole is located beside it, before the rest of the lines continue around the village via ducts, and overhead cables to other DP poles. My postcode is CV13 6NJ.

The data saying from 2016 onwards can be found at:

http://blpc.atkinsgeospatial.com/

Just enter my postcode to see what it says. My Cabinet is located in bilstone, next to congerstone, and I live on the southern tip of shackerstone.
Standard User 8skellerns
(experienced) Mon 29-Jun-15 21:56:45
Print Post

bump?
Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 29-Jun-15 23:03:20
Print Post

Your question? There's little or nothing to add to what you already know and have posted together with Andrew's reply. BT will already have ducting to PCP2 which where any FTTC cab is likely to be installed. Your problem however is your distance from the cab which will severely limit the speeds you might see.

Unless your local BDUK scheme has the funds to run FTTP to your property you may be in the 1% club, or if not 1%, 5% or whatever figure is appropriate for Warwickshire and will perhaps have to wait until more money is available to see any improvement in available service.

You're by no means alone in being unable to know if or when you might receive a faster connection. For example there are large numbers of EO lines in London, which although a small percentage is many many thousands of users, where there is no prospect of FTTC until the government makes available money for the necessary network rearrangements, there currently being no BDUK funding to help pay for broadband upgrades in the major cities.
Standard User 8skellerns
(experienced) Tue 30-Jun-15 23:27:46
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

Cheers for that smile Im just confused as to how Leicestershire county council (that is funding any upgrades on twycross exchnage) will provide a 2mb USC to 100% of the county? Already tried satellite, and that was unusable in the evenings, and only options left are 4G where I can get 60/40 speeds from EE, but at £50 a month on a 2 year contract for a tiny 50gb.
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Wed 01-Jul-15 20:32:09
Print Post

In reply to a post by 8skellerns:
Cheers for that smile Im just confused as to how Leicestershire county council (that is funding any upgrades on twycross exchnage) will provide a 2mb USC to 100% of the county?

The original contract between BT and LCC will have specified BT to do the work, likely as the last sub-phase within this "phase 1" project. Both parties are motivated to do the USC phase last, because they don't really know what to do until then.

The 96% target for "fibre-based" coverage includes sub-24Mbps speeds, and likely means the majority of these lines will be 2Mbps+ - and that might apply to you, depending on things like the thickness of your copper line. Altogether, there might be something around 1%-3% of homes needing a 2Mbps USC solution.

But right now, BT don't really have a solution (other than deploying FTTC to more nodes, or using FTTP), save perhaps BET, and no-one really wants them to deploy it - they'd much rather have a proper superfast solution.

The second contract might augment the first one, and push the 2Mbps requirement to the end again. Or it might not - in which case, BT will have problems.

However, recent (pre-Election) mumblings suggested that
a) the government were considering a satellite subsidy scheme
b) that BT were being "let off" the USC commitment in framework counties
c) that the satellite subsidies would be funded from the money not handed to BT for (b).

I've not seen anything post-election to confirm whether this is actually happening.

Already tried satellite, and that was unusable in the evenings,

I guess the theory the government will subscribe to is that, as superfast capability becomes more widespread, some satellite subscribers will swap to their new fixed-line capability. As they do this, performance will improve for those remaining, who will be the ones who truly need it.

and only options left are 4G where I can get 60/40 speeds from EE, but at £50 a month on a 2 year contract for a tiny 50gb.

Indeed. The mobile companies still have to price it high to scare users away.
  Print Thread

Jump to