General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User serton
(newbie) Mon 29-Jun-15 02:45:59
Print Post

Hunslet Exchange Cabinet 105

[link to this post]

Over the last couple of years, since Hunslet exchange started the upgrading, I have been trying to find out information about my cabinet.

The problem is the area is a 'new' build that started about 4 years ago and stupidly the developers didn't think that fibre would be a priority. As it stands. I have contacted BT, and openreach who both say nothing is being done. Bt Openrach have said the cabinet is not financially viable. But on their system it is sitting as under review.

I have spoken to Superfast West Yorkshire who advised that our area, this time last year, didn't fall under their funding but hoped to add it between 2015 and 2017. Having spoken to them again (a year later) they advised that they have no funding for this area still.

We have hundreds of houses here and according to the BT engineer that came our cabinet only has one thing that the connections go to (he once tried moving my connection but found he couldn't) this causes congestion on our line.

We've tried to get the local council involved but to no avail, as yet.

Not sure of what the next steps would be. I know the residents have explored self funding, and also Hyperoptic. Hyperoptic only do the flats and have advised us that the houses would be left out. This is not ideal, as if the flats are done and the houses are not, BT will really find that our area is not viable, the population pool is cut.

Any suggestions? Or any one know anything further about the cabinet?

Thanks
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 29-Jun-15 08:45:41
Print Post

Re: Hunslet Exchange Cabinet 105

[re: serton] [link to this post]

Not sure what you mean by congestion, since your copper line is YOURS all the way to the exchange, where it then meets up with the 1000's of other lines on the exchange via the DSLAM line card ports.

Telephones have no shared local loop unlike cable.

No sign of any BDUK type work, and commercially Openreach is busy meeting contract deadlines so not a priority. The Virgin Media expansion might get to you and if the area is in their plans this may mean no BDUK funding for a cabinet either.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Mon 29-Jun-15 09:41:26
Print Post

Is this the cabinet near Aire Quay?

Bit outside of my 'patch' but no plans for Virgin Media there for right now though this may change when they're done with Middleton.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Fastman2
(committed) Mon 29-Jun-15 10:10:48
Print Post

interesting the comment around self funding -- with who - developer has a cost for enabling the cab from openreach-- but never taken it forward
  Print Thread

Jump to