General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Mon 29-Jun-15 11:36:17
Print Post

FTTC definition

[link to this post]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiber_to_the_x#Fiber_t...

Fiber to the curb/cabinet (FTTC) is a telecommunications system based on fiber-optic cables run to a platform that serves several customers. Each of these customers has a connection to this platform via coaxial cable or twisted pair. The "curb" is an abstraction and can just as easily mean a pole-mounted device or communications closet or shed. Typically any system terminating fiber within 1,000 ft (300 m) of the customer premises equipment would be described as FTTC.

What of termination at distances greater than 300m?
Standard User billford
(elder) Mon 29-Jun-15 11:44:15
Print Post

Re: FTTC definition

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by camieabz:
What of termination at distances greater than 300m?
Straight line distance or cable length?

tongue

Bill
A level playing field is level in both directions.

_______________________________________Planes and Boats and ... ______________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 29-Jun-15 12:06:11
Print Post

Bournemouth, UK: In October 2012, British operator Gigler UK launched a 1 Gbit/s down and 500 Mbit/s up service in Bournemouth using the CityFibre network.[32]
32. Andrew Ferguson, "Gigler launches Gigabit fibre service in Bournemouth", Think Broadband, News Item 5480, 4 October 2012. Retrieved 12 July 2013.
The man gets everywhere.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 58162/14182kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Mon 29-Jun-15 12:06:47)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 29-Jun-15 13:13:29
Print Post

Its Wikipedia so take any 'facts' as they may be right they may not. Notice how they talk of using copper Ethernet as backhaul for connecting FTTC over 1000's of feet for backhaul. Odd as why bother with the F in the FTTC if that is the case.

It is down to the way the editor is trying to differentiate FTTN and FTTC

FTTN - there may or may not be another copper cabinet between the customer and the fibre end point, basically DOCSIS style networks.

FTTC - there is usually no major extra cabinets between the fibre end point and the premises, beyond the one housing the xDSL hardware.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 29-Jun-15 17:43:19
Print Post

That is just plain wrong. I'm tempted to edit it but the sentence either needs deleting entirely or replacing by a larger piece explaining the effect of distance from the cabinet and I'm not sure I can be bothered.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - sync approx 65000/20000 at 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 29-Jun-15 17:46:54
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

American though. I, for one, have no idea what setups they have there.

It's noticeable that the emphasis at that stage seems to be on DOCSIS, which as used by VM Media here we don't call FTTC.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 58162/14182kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User vimto_girl
(committed) Mon 29-Jun-15 19:02:21
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Its Wikipedia so take any 'facts' as they may be right they may not. Notice how they talk of using copper Ethernet as backhaul for connecting FTTC over 1000's of feet for backhaul. Odd as why bother with the F in the FTTC if that is the case.
You've read it wrong. There it is describing the connection between customers and the cabinet. It says usually existing wire is used, but where new cable can be run, copper ethernet is capable of supporting ethernet protocols over thousands of feet.
Standard User vimto_girl
(committed) Mon 29-Jun-15 19:06:24
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
It's noticeable that the emphasis at that stage seems to be on DOCSIS, which as used by VM Media here we don't call FTTC.
I notice no such emphasis myself. "Usually existing wire is used with communications protocols such as broadband cable access (typically DOCSIS) or some form of DSL connecting the curb/cabinet and the customers."
Standard User ggremlin
(committed) Mon 29-Jun-15 19:28:38
Print Post

I prefer the distinction
fttc, - cabinet
fttk, - kerb (= fttdp - distribution point)
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Tue 30-Jun-15 00:43:39
Print Post

Well I posted it up so that the resident 'experts' could clarify things. The whole thing reads like a bad essay to me (not that I'm a writing expert).

Hopefully someone from this fine place will set the record straight. smile
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to