General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User l3uddz
(newbie) Tue 30-Jun-15 18:19:00
Print Post

STSSCOT Exchange

[link to this post]

Hi guys.

Been looking at hampshiresuperfast and have seen that my area is due to have work done supposedly between July and December. Now I have been doing some research and it seems the preferred method of supplying faster broadband is with FTTC? I'm on an exchange only line which I am fairly sure that most, if not all of our village is on EO lines as I have only been able to locate a single green cabinet which may not even be telephone related (http://goo.gl/maps/DJnLj). I was just wondering if anyone has any information on this exchange? Would be good to know if the village is all on EO lines, whether FTTC or FTTP is coming. Village is Sutton Scotney in Hampshire.
Look forward to any replies. Many thanks.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 30-Jun-15 18:28:26
Print Post

Re: STSSCOT Exchange

[re: l3uddz] [link to this post]

That would be cab 4 which serves a number of postcodes already and there is also cabinet 3 which has a nice new shiny outer shell on it at https://www.google.com/maps/@51.167957,-1.369822,3a,...

Given the concentration of EO lines around the exchange itself it is most likely that FTTC will arrive, but until plans are announced it is guesswork based on the pattern seen elsewhere

Even if they do add FTTC no guarantee that it will be done for all the EO postcodes.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User l3uddz
(newbie) Tue 30-Jun-15 18:40:55
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for the response. That cabinet you linked to seems to be situated at Barton Stacey which is another little village very close to ours, within walking distance. The STSCOT exchange is situated bang in the cnter of our village, barely over 100m from the cabinet I originally linked too. Guess its a waiting game, fingers crossed they decide to accommodate the EO lines too.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User l3uddz
(newbie) Sun 25-Oct-15 16:40:37
Print Post

According to roadworks.org it looks like Sutton Scotney exchange is having work done on 5th November til the 18th,it looks like this could be fiber?

Edited by l3uddz (Sun 25-Oct-15 16:41:09)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 25-Oct-15 16:47:09
Print Post

No could about it

"SUTTON SCOTNEY 1 STREET CABINET & POWER INSTALLATION. Excavate to lay approx 5m BT ducts, Lay concrete plinth, Stand cab. Excavate to expose low voltage cable for Power Connection and lay approx 1m duct. POWER engineer to carry out inspection prior to jointing. POWER jointing team to insert cable and execute jointing works. Reinstate, Check and clear site. Also build new PCP next to DSLAM cabinet and lay approx 6m of duct to "

The description is pretty clear, this is for a PCP and its fibre cabinet (DSLAM).

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User l3uddz
(newbie) Sun 25-Oct-15 23:09:41
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks, I did suspect that was the case. Do you happen to know the typical speed to be expected from a newly enabled exchange? I'm expecting it will be limited to bt infinity packages, hoping the 76mb package is available but even the lowest would be better than the typical 8mbps we get now.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sun 25-Oct-15 23:15:57
Print Post

The speed is dependant on the distance from you to the cabinet. Less than 200 metres should give you around full speed 80/20

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/guide/fibre-broadband....
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 26-Oct-15 02:24:58
Print Post

In reply to a post by l3uddz:
Do you happen to know the typical speed to be expected from a newly enabled exchange? I'm expecting it will be limited to bt infinity packages, hoping the 76mb package is available but even the lowest would be better than the typical 8mbps we get now.
Service with a sync speed of up to 80/20 is available from the cabinet being enabled. The actual speed possible on your line depends on various factors, with cable length from the cabinet being the most significant factor.

Openreach offer service to all CPs from the cabinet being enabled, but those using non-BT Wholesale backhaul (notably including TalkTalk and Sky) can take some time to sort out connection between Openreach's equipment at the handover point and their own networks.

You do not get any sort of priority by ordering BT Retail's Infinity.

Print Thread

Jump to