General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User professor973
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 30-Jun-15 23:18:03
Print Post

Max Rate Kbps

[link to this post]

Question:- Should the Max Rate, the speed of fibre arriving at the cab be stable? - mine has differed by 7 meg this evening along with my BB playing silly devils again. It jumps by a meg or two every few seconds upon refresh. It's up and down like a see saw. Am I correct in suspecting TT congestion, or is it a constantly varying theoretical max speed that varies with line noise? - Will see if th emagic midnight switch flips later after peak time.
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/15b2004b9a1...

Edited by professor973 (Tue 30-Jun-15 23:28:42)

Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 01-Jul-15 00:00:19
Print Post

Re: Max Rate Kbps

[re: professor973] [link to this post]

It's a constantly variable, theoretical maximum speed, based on the current line conditions and has nothing to do with "the speed of fibre arriving at the cab."

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - sync approx 65000/20000 at 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 01-Jul-15 00:05:10
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

And nothing to do with bandwidth congestion that may or may not be down to the ISP

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 01-Jul-15 00:20:34
Print Post

[re: professor973] [link to this post]

As you surmise, it works to some extent like SNRM. It fluctuates all the time, probably in near-tandem with SNRM, but with finer movements. At one time it was the indicator I used when looking to re-sync for higher speed.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 58162/14182kbps @ 600m. - BQM
  Print Thread

Jump to