General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User markbarton
(newbie) Fri 03-Jul-15 14:57:16
Print Post

Long Distance FTTC - anyone with experience?

[link to this post]

Hi,

Looks like my local Exchange (Guyhirn) is due to get 2 FTTC Cabinets according to the connecting Cambridgeshire site. Overdue to be enabled but I understand this is nothing new.

The trouble is it looks like my postcode (PE13 4HN) is not covered - it might be an issue with the coverage map but I suspect its due to the distance - though having problems finding a line checker which gives an estimated line length. If I use Google Maps and do a best case straight line its just over 2 miles.

So even if my line is moved to the FTTC cabinet would I gain anything? I understand the drop off for FTTC is worse than ADSL. My current DSL speeds is now around the 3Mb mark.

Just looking to see if anyone else has a long distance FTTC connection.

I suspect I am going to have to go with a WISP network which is much more expensive .
Thanks

Mark
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 03-Jul-15 15:31:42
Print Post

Re: Long Distance FTTC - anyone with experience?

[re: markbarton] [link to this post]

If best straight line is 2 miles from the actual cabinet, then bingo no need to look further that is your problem. Cab 1 is definitely live.

Another issue is that cab 1 only serves some of the premises in your postcode, so have you checked that your line is connected to cab 1?

2km (1.4mile) of cable is generally the point at where it is a gamble to get something from VDSL2, am sure someone has got it on a longer line, but that is rare and no point holding false hope.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User markbarton
(newbie) Fri 03-Jul-15 16:04:55
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for that - I would rather be told no point holding false hope so I can sort something else out.

I tried the line checker site https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.Telep... and it didnt mention anything about FTTC - just basic ADSL.

Looks like WISP is my best way forward.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User flanzm
(learned) Fri 03-Jul-15 19:31:01
Print Post

[re: markbarton] [link to this post]

Mark,

Are you sure you are on cabinet 1 on Guyhirn exchange ? I live just down the road from you and am on Parson Drove cabinet 1 which is outside Murrow village hall. I know other folk down Hooks Drove/Long Drove are also on my cabinet.

This https://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm?xid=1... shows you where all the exchange areas are for Guyhirn and where cabinet 1 serves. From the looks of it you may be on an Exchange only line from Guyhirn. All my not be lost though as quite a few people on EO lines in Parson Drove are getting FTTP. Might be worth dropping Connecting Cambridgeshire an email to clarify final plans ?

Mike
  Print Thread

Jump to