General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User marcusjclifford
(committed) Sat 04-Jul-15 19:24:58
Print Post

DSL Modem light off - FTTC Cabinet silent

[link to this post]

Hi Everyone, at 12:30 today I lost Internet access and on inspection saw that the DSL light on my fiber model was off. I swapped this for my spare (ECI) and got the same. The phone its self is working fine.

Plusnet have recorded the fault as "CSC - FTTC Faults - No Sync "

Now, the interesting bit... I walked to my cabinet (400 m away or so) and it is completely silent. I could not hear any hum or fan noise at all - I listened at all sides as well as down at near ground level where there are lots of vents - absolute silence.

Do the cabs normally make at least some noise you should be able to hear from near them? - I had my ear pressed up against it but silence. (yes I did get a few strange looks from passers by).

I may go on a little drive to my next nearest one and see what noise (if any) that is making.

Finally, is there any way to point this out to BT - I guess at the moment it is just passed to them as user-no sync - but if the power to a cabinet has failed or something else is wrong with the entire cab I presume that would get higher fix priority than a single user.

It is warm here today (but not nearly as bad as earlier in the week) and we did have lightning and lots of rain last night, but it was a calm sunny day all day.

Thanks in advance,

Marcus

Aquiss Home 30
On Exchange ESSTC - via edinbugh-ipsc
Speedtouch 585v6 on BT Filtered Faceplate
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 04-Jul-15 20:04:23
Print Post

Re: DSL Modem light off - FTTC Cabinet silent

[re: marcusjclifford] [link to this post]

Do you know anyone on that cabinet with FTTC?

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 58162/14182kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 04-Jul-15 21:12:54
Print Post

A silly question I know but you were listing at the FTTC cabinet rather than the PCP cabinet?

AFAIK BT Openreach monitor all of their FTTC cabs for just such a problem which should mean BTO are automatically aware of any cabinet fault.

Edited by MCM (Sat 04-Jul-15 21:14:46)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 04-Jul-15 21:28:37
Print Post

A cab losing power and going offline should be easily picked up by openreach monitoring

Find out if neighbours are in the same boat

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 04-Jul-15 22:02:50
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by marcusjclifford:
I listened at all sides as well as down at near ground level where there are lots of vents - absolute silence.
PCPs don't have vents.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 58162/14182kbps @ 600m. - BQM
(committed) Sat 04-Jul-15 23:18:35
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

Definately the FTTC cabinet. I watched them commission it 18 months ago.

I did go and visit another FTTC cab a few streets away and that had the fan noise clearly audible so my cab definitely has an issue, as expected.

Let's hope BT come and fix it soon. I've not seen any neighbours to ask yet. I'll keep everyone updated.

Aquiss Home 30
Standard User Icaras
(member) Sun 05-Jul-15 10:04:03
Print Post

That would be a very high priority fault, someone would be out within an hour to that I imagine. I hate to ask you silly questions but are you definitely at the correct fibre cabinet? Have you ever heard this one humming?

You're right though you should always hear the fans going, even in the middle of winter. They are never silent.
(committed) Sun 05-Jul-15 21:26:43
Print Post

[re: Icaras] [link to this post]

Yes, I'm sure it was the Fibre cabinet.

Pleased to report that my connection came back on this morning at 07:53, and the cabinet is humming away as it should be now.

So, technical question - the FTTC cabinets have battery backup don't they? We had the significant storm / lightning / rain at about 01:00 in the night, and the cabinet went off at 12:28 - does that about correspond to expected cabinet runtime?

Aquiss Home 30

Edited by marcusjclifford (Sun 05-Jul-15 21:34:10)

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sun 05-Jul-15 21:33:13
Print Post

In reply to a post by marcusjclifford:
Yes, I'm sure it was the Fibre cabinet.

Pleased to report that my connection came back on this morning at 07:53, and the cabinet is humming away as it should be now.

So, technical question - the FTTC cabinets have batter backup
Breadcrumbs?
(committed) Sun 05-Jul-15 21:38:40
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

oops- typo corrected smile

These photos were taken when the FTTC cabinet was being placed / commissioned. (April 2014)

Photo 1: The FTTC cabinet that was silent, but now is humming as expected.
FTTC Cabinet Photo 1 (This was silent)

Photo 2: The three pieces of street furniture - left to right - the original cabinet, a Virgin media cabinet then far right the new FTTC cabinet.
The three cabinets

Aquiss Home 30
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to