General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User spon
(member) Wed 08-Jul-15 12:08:03
Print Post

Unplug modem/router for holiday period?

[link to this post]

Sorry if this is a naive question but having had a router trashed by a surge during a recent storm, is it ok to unplug everything during a two week holiday period please? So just leave the phone on but remove the DSL connection to the modem/router and power that off? Or would having no remote kit connected disrupt anything back at the exchange?

It's unlikely we will be hit again but don't want to risk it. Alternatively, can we surge protect the incoming DSL signal and also the modem/router power supply (although I thought surges couldn't get past step-down power supplies?)

Cheers
Dave

up the down escalator..........
Standard User burakkucat
(experienced) Wed 08-Jul-15 12:13:59
Print Post

Re: Unplug modem/router for holiday period?

[re: spon] [link to this post]

In the simplest possible terms, just power down the modem/router, unplug it from the line and don't worry about it. wink

Enjoy your holiday. Upon your return, reconnect the modem/router to the line and power it up. smile

100% Linux and, previously, Unix.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 08-Jul-15 12:32:55
Print Post

[re: spon] [link to this post]

Thee is no real need, however if you feel more comfortable then do so.

Power down the modem/router and wait a few seconds before disconnecting the line. Do you also power down you TV/PVR/HiFi too? and do you disconnect the aerial?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User spon
(member) Wed 08-Jul-15 13:24:10
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. Call me paranoid, but yes I unplug everything that doesn't need to be left plugged in. Even the aerial from the back of the TV smile

Cheers
spon

up the down escalator..........
  Print Thread

Jump to