General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User marcusjclifford
(committed) Wed 08-Jul-15 15:03:52
Print Post

Village Exchange enabled - single Cab enabled - what next?

[link to this post]

Hi everyone,
My little exchange in Scotland (St. Cyrus - ~700 lines) has been FTTC enabled now, and the single cabinet in the middle of the village also now has a FTTC cabinet twin and is "Accepting Orders".

The issue is that probably 60-80% of the village is on Exchange Only lines.

http://www.roadworksscotland.org has (and is) showing significant BT Openreach activity around the place, but with just generic names - no indication of what the actual work going on is.

Is there anyone / anywhere I can contact or such to see what BT Openreach's plans are for the area, and especially my property?

Our exchange completely skipped the ADSL2 /2+ step and has gone from ADSL Max to FTTC. Exciting times, just wish more of the parish could get it.

Can the information at: https://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm?xid=1... be given any significance? It has various dots indicating "Fibre cabinets" - but I seriously doubt that many will be provided.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Aquiss Home 30
On Exchange ESSTC - via edinbugh-ipsc
Speedtouch 585v6 on BT Filtered Faceplate
Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 08-Jul-15 15:17:29
Print Post

Re: Village Exchange enabled - single Cab enabled - what nex

[re: marcusjclifford] [link to this post]

It has various dots indicating "Fibre cabinets" - but I seriously doubt that many will be provided.
I think you're probably misreading the data. Telecom-tariffs shows just one BDUK funded FTTC cab (P1) and 13 bundles of exchange only lines for St Cyrus. Regrettably it does not say which, if any, of those EO bundles are to be moved to cab 1. Hopefully BDUK Scotland will be able to provide more information for you.

Edited by MCM (Wed 08-Jul-15 15:23:29)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 08-Jul-15 15:20:47
Print Post

As far as I am aware no plans for the EO, and as Scotland is not aiming at anywhere near 100% coverage yet then some areas it happens and others it does not.

The EO that exists is pretty dispersed so would need several cabinets rather than a single one at the exchange to really gain anything, and this makes it more expensive and may explain the decision to not do EO yet. Of course plans and priorities can change.

As for the dots showing fibre cabinets, not sure what you mean, should only be one for St Cyrus the mention of Exchange_6 is referring to a block of EO lines.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jphilip
(member) Wed 08-Jul-15 16:35:08
Print Post

The exchange is scheduled to be upgraded to ADSL2+ but that seems to be on a rolling 30 day projected date.
  Print Thread

Jump to