General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User donka
(newbie) Thu 09-Jul-15 16:42:02
Print Post

FTTC Gone live. Estimate speed a fraction of neighbours

[link to this post]

Our local fibre cabinet went live for orders on Monday. This cabinet is literally 10 metres from our house on a new housing estate - our house is 2.5 years old.

Our estimated speed is only 12.5Mb down and 0.8Mb up. Our neighbours a few houses either side have the exact same estimates but then about 5 houses away on either side of our house, the estimates are all 80Mb down and 20Mb up even though these houses are all physically further away from the PCP and FTTC cabinets and we are all connected to the exact same cabinet.

Is there any logical reason for this or is it likely to be an error with the BT Wholesale checker? It's stopping us from ordering the full 80Mb package.

Edited by donka (Thu 09-Jul-15 16:55:28)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 09-Jul-15 16:51:29
Print Post

Re: FTTC Gone live. Estimate speed a fraction of neighbours

[re: donka] [link to this post]

Do the fast and slow ones have the same cabinet number? (The line above the estimate table on the BT Wholesale checker).

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 58162/14182kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User donka
(newbie) Thu 09-Jul-15 16:54:36
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Do the fast and slow ones have the same cabinet number? (The line above the estimate table on the BT Wholesale checker).

Hi, sorry I should have included that in the original post.
We are all connected to the exact same cabinet as confirmed by the BT Wholesale checker.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 09-Jul-15 16:54:51
Print Post

Are you all on the same cabinet?

Do you know how the cables run from cabinet to houses?

And if you think it is wrong, just order what you can. Then, when installed and you can see the max attainable speed, change your contract to an 80Mbps service. Certainly, BT will allow you to upgrade without penalty and some others will too.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User WelshWArrior
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 10-Jul-15 09:19:23
Print Post

Same thing happened to me except I am further away from the cab. Either side of me get 70-75Mbps down and I get 60Mbps. BT/Plusnet said they won't do anything about it!

-------------------------------------------
Plusnet Unlimited Fibre Extra
My speedtest result
My BQM

Edited by WelshWArrior (Fri 10-Jul-15 09:20:50)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 10-Jul-15 13:10:13
Print Post

If it does not resolve itself by Monday (unlikely) then drop me an email with address and phone details and will point someone in Openreach at a likely problem. No point over the weekend as people are away from their offices so likely to get lost in the Monday morning haze.

Though I usually do some sanity checking too, as sometimes you do see some addresses with unusually high estimates, with the slow person actually being correct.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to