General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User kcc_bag
(newbie) Sun 12-Jul-15 12:29:54
Print Post

Automated availability lookup

[link to this post]

I live in Scotland and Fibre is coming to our area soon, but as we are a rural area many premises are on longish lines so cabinet location, and whether someone is connected via a cabinet or EO, is very significant. Digital Scotland have provided a tool ( http://www.digitalscotland.org/whereandwhen) to allow an individual check to be made but what we would find really useful is to be able to automate the process, linked to a spreadsheet for example, to build a profile of ALL lines connected to the local exchange and see how each line connects - and even better get their line lengths too. This would give us a profile for the whole village without having to key in each individual number (there are upwards of 1000). As I'm involved with helping several local villages, we'd be able to repeat the exercise for each of them too.
Does such a tool exist? Or suggestions to code one?
Thanks
Doug
Standard User Gadget
(committed) Sun 12-Jul-15 18:29:57
Print Post

Re: Automated availability lookup

[re: kcc_bag] [link to this post]

probably breaks website T&Cs.
Standard User ian007jen
(committed) Sun 12-Jul-15 19:41:02
Print Post

A user (PaulKirby) on this forum has a script that does this...not sure if he will share it with you ....he may be along with the answer to your questions etc smile

Ian

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User bewA
(newbie) Mon 13-Jul-15 08:05:08
Print Post

[re: ian007jen] [link to this post]

There was a post which i'm pretty sure was on here by someone like MrSaffron where he gave you a way to just change the btwholesale url with the information rather than just filling in the form.
I've got a Chrome Extension called Page Monitor and i just monitor that URL and it checks couple of times a day and i get a notification when it's updated.
I also use an Android app that does a similar thing.
Standard User ian007jen
(committed) Mon 13-Jul-15 08:39:25
Print Post

[re: bewA] [link to this post]

change the btwholesale url

or use https://www.followthatpage.com/
Standard User PaulKirby
(experienced) Mon 13-Jul-15 12:06:55
Print Post

[re: ian007jen] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian007jen:
A user (PaulKirby) on this forum has a script that does this...not sure if he will share it with you ....he may be along with the answer to your questions etc smile

Ian
Yep, I wrote mine in .NET and its on its 5th version, the first version only took me 20 mins to write but was very messy code and slow.

As for giving out the code, sadly I cannot give away the code due to it uses our own server and database to store all the information once it gets it.

If I ever re-code it to use a local file database I may release it, but that might result in it breaking due to BT may change their site in the future which has happened 3 times already.

I also have to do loads of stuff before hand like add the exchange information to the database along with all the postcodes that are for that area which some are partly connected to said exchange etc.

Also its not really that fast due to adding delays between requests so that I don't hammer BT's server.

A lookup of an exchange of 1,000 addresses will take an average of 1h 23m 20s and all requests are done asynchronously.
BT already adds a small delay (seems about 2 - 3 or so seconds) when you do a single lookup, on top of that I add 1 second delay between lookup requests.

So you can see why I cringe when I have to look up +25K of addresses LOL.

And once it completes all the lookups I can do a status lookup which says how many addresses has or can get what on each cabinet or EO Line.

I also can lookup an area on roadworks and also lookup information from the BTOR Where and when page that both return the information as JSON formatted data.

Paul
Standard User mjl123
(learned) Mon 13-Jul-15 21:51:02
Print Post

I wrote a quick app to hit the wholesale checker with a list of addresses and get the cabinet numbers for those addresses, may be of some use. Bit of a manual process to get the addresses in an area, but the app has instructions for getting postcodes in an area, then addresses for those postcodes.

Download link in this post if you're interested: http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/t/4342436-app...
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Tue 14-Jul-15 00:32:38
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by PaulKirby:
Yep, I wrote mine in .NET and its on its 5th version, the first version only took me 20 mins to write but was very messy code and slow.

As for giving out the code, sadly I cannot give away the code due to it uses our own server and database to store all the information once it gets it.

I have a similar thing, written in Perl. It has a slightly different purpose, which more fits the OP here - it keeps track of the estimate changes over time.

However, it has the same problem - it runs on a separate Linux VPS server, putting all results into its own database. And the only way to get results out of the database, right now, is to be proficient in complicated hand-written SQL queries.

OP: If you know someone proficient (and I mean proficient) in Linux, Perl and MySQL, you might be able to make use of it.
  Print Thread

Jump to