General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 12-Jul-15 13:50:50
Print Post

Re-sync the unlocked HG612

[link to this post]

I may be blind, but have never found how to do this from the GUI.

I have now looked to see if it is possible from the Command Prompt.

Yes.

Telnet in as usual.

xdslcmd connection --down
Wait a bit if you wish
xdslcmd connection --up

Apologies to all who knew this, but I have never seen it posted.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 58162/14182kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sun 12-Jul-15 14:38:58
Print Post

Re: Re-sync the unlocked HG612

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Cannot try it on mine at present however under <BASIC>; <WAN>; there is a WAN connection enable. Wondering if that would force a re-sync?

There is always the Reboot option! A little drastic however it would force a re-sync.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 12-Jul-15 15:27:29
Print Post

Maintenance --> Device --> Reboot should do it.

Edit: just noticed previous reply saying this was a bit drastic smile

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - sync approx 65000/20000 at 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST

Edited by kasg (Sun 12-Jul-15 15:28:47)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 12-Jul-15 16:27:21
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
Cannot try it on mine at present however under <BASIC>; <WAN>; there is a WAN connection enable. Wondering if that would force a re-sync?
Ouch!

I thought you had it there, but try it at your own risk!

I un-ticked WAN connection Enable and submitted it. After a few seconds the page refreshed with it un-ticked and the Enable marker at the top right = 0.

Went and looked at the HG612, DSL light still on. My earlier telnet method turned it off.

Then I came back down here to turn the WAN Enable back on and when I tried to access the modem got the TG582N login page! Hmmm thinks me! But I couldn't log into that over wifi.

Went to look, and the "Internet" light on it was red. Tried the wired machine, again not able to log into the router. Everything dead as far as I was concerned, all lights on the modem green, router OK except for this red light, both computers thinking they had internet access. Which they hadn't - both just giving the router login page but not able to log in.

Took the modem power plug out, waited a bit, plugged it back in. Came up looking OK but the router stayed Red for internet. Perhaps then I didn't wait long enough for the PPP session to come up. I'm not going to try again, so I shan't know if the power cycle on the modem had re-enabled the WAN connection. I think it unlikely.

Did a factory reset on the modem, knowing that should re-enable WAN. Once that came back up I still had to wait a long time for PPP to come up, hence my comment in the previous paragraph, but all is well.

A very strange result from un-ticking that box.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sun 12-Jul-15 16:31:07
Print Post

Well, it cause a resync!

Not quite what might have been expected though!

M H C

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 12-Jul-15 16:40:32
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

LOL

I was a little concerned when the modem lights said connected to the net, the router didn't, and I couldn't log into it. I decided to leave the other option, of rebooting the router, until after sorting out the modem.

Largely on the basis of it being a router in bridge mode so turning off the WAN was a little unpredictable without the documentation.

I was right in ruling out the router, but not being able to get into it was weird. I didn't think of feeling how hot it was - I wonder if its processor was going at 100% to try to establish PPP and the WAN Enable Off in the HG612 was blocking it?

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sun 12-Jul-15 21:23:03
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
I may be blind, but have never found how to do this from the GUI.

I have now looked to see if it is possible from the Command Prompt.

Yes.

Telnet in as usual.

xdslcmd connection --down
Wait a bit if you wish
xdslcmd connection --up

Apologies to all who knew this, but I have never seen it posted.
Not sure why you would want to do this as pulling the mains plug has i'm sure worked ok for many of us before now, what is their to gain by rebooting/or causing the modem to drop sync from within the GUI ?
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sun 12-Jul-15 21:33:28
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by tommy45:
Not sure why you would want to do this as pulling the mains plug has i'm sure worked ok for many of us before now, what is their to gain by rebooting/or causing the modem to drop sync from within the GUI ?
So you can automate it via a script.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sun 12-Jul-15 21:37:42
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

I have, at times, wanted to keep my network here up and running without any connection to the outside world - that includes having the modem running. So, the ability to Turn Off the line without having to physically unplug it can be useful. Or when trying to test fail over to a different bearer.

And when experimenting with an ADSL line, I actually wanted to resync every few minutes - I was looking to find the optimum time, xx minutes after dawn or similar. So, again a nice easy way - I also found that on a forced resync, DLM did not intervene as it knew it was deliberate act. This was with a different modem, however no reason why it could not be done on an HG612

M H C

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sun 12-Jul-15 23:00:54
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
In reply to a post by tommy45:
So you can automate it via a script.
But why would someone want or need to do this? it seems a pointless exerise to me
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to