General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User oddney
(newbie) Mon 13-Jul-15 16:54:55
Print Post

B31 Birmingham - Fibre

[link to this post]

HI all first i have a slow connection im with EE home broadband currency at 400-500 KB/s - 0.5MB/s
i live in the B31 3dp area new bromford build which is around 5-6 years old now and still no fibre. When i moved here i had to have sky that was the only think i could have they told me i could get fibre within to years of living here.. they lied so i switched to EE another let down.. they promised me the same 2 years 1 year within 6 months and still nothing.. it gets that bad i cant even stream netflix frown

is there anyone i could bombard with emails to make them listen and maybe think about this area. it feels like im stuck in the past.. before i moved i was with virgin media, when i told them i would be moved and that i want to keep my contract they said ok, but when i moved to the new house and phoned them they just give me the same story..

thank you to anyone that can help me...
Standard User Nightglow
(learned) Mon 13-Jul-15 17:11:45
Print Post

Re: B31 Birmingham - Fibre

[re: oddney] [link to this post]

Here at https://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm

It says all addresses within the post code are connected to the same cabinet. Fibre Street Cabinet 1: Not Available.
Standard User oddney
(newbie) Mon 13-Jul-15 19:34:14
Print Post

[re: Nightglow] [link to this post]

I dont know what that means tbh mate..

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Fastman2
(committed) Mon 13-Jul-15 19:41:52
Print Post

[re: Nightglow] [link to this post]

its means your cabinet is not enabled
Standard User PaulKirby
(experienced) Mon 13-Jul-15 20:25:08
Print Post

[re: oddney] [link to this post]

Well if you live down postcode B31 3DP you should be getting more than what you say.

Exchange Name: Kings Norton
Exchange Code: CMKING

Cabinet: 22
Fibre Phase: None
Fibre Information: None
Result Count: 33

[B31 3DP]
Has 33 result(s) connected to Cabinet 22 with ADSLx with approximate speeds around the following:
ADSLx (Worst): Up to 4.0 (downstream rate) -- (upsrteam rate) 2.5 to 6.5 (downstream range)
ADSLx (Best): Up to 6.0 (downstream rate) -- (upsrteam rate) 4.0 to 8.0 (downstream range)

Please note that these speeds are using BT's DSL Checker and uses the lowest and highest values for that postcode and cabinet.
Had at least 1 issue retrieving information from the BT DSL Checker.
See I have an issue here...
The BT DSL Checker says my information above is correct by the exchange and cabinet that you are on.

However Codelook says your connected to Exchange Priory (CMPRI) and that exchange has been fibre ready since the start of 2011 and that most cabinets have had fibre since March 2013.

Where as the exchange that the BT DSL Checker says that your really on Exchange Kings Norton (CMKING) which is not fibre ready and even says there is no cabinets at all and that they are all EO Lines.

So I think one of them is incorrect.

Paul
Standard User B31
(regular) Mon 13-Jul-15 21:02:03
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Post codes are the least accurate way to check your cabinet.

Best to use either your phone number, or house number and street.

As for the original question, get all your neighbours to fill in the openreach and/or BT fibre expressions of interest.

Speak to your local MP too.

Good luck! I'm in the same boat in another new-ish development.

BT ADSL customer getting 1.9 Mbps on a new road / new build development
CAB not FTTC enabled, not part of the 66% commercial plan. Not rural - no BDUK funding
(Virgin Media nearby)
Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 14-Jul-15 00:02:17
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

CMKING does have cabinets, but doesnt have any fibre plans, Virgin Media was given some funding to continue rollout to the Kings Norton area.

CMPRI is Fibre enabled and where the post code quoted is located the property should get a lot more sync than 0.9mbps...

I have done a check on House No. 5 and BT Wholesale checker says its connected to Kings Norton 22 and should get 2.5-6.5mbps See Here!

I Think Oddney needs to raise a fault with EE regarding slow speed..

Also might be worth contacting Virgin Media too see if they can supply service... The area does have a broad coverage by cable and I know some of the new estate around Wychall Lane and Staple Lodge well and know Virgin does supply some of the new builds.

WBC @ 4500m > TP-Link TD-W8968v3 *Ceasing Soon
FTTC @ 450m > HG612 > Asus RT-AC87U *Migrating Soon BQM
FTTN Coming Soon
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Tue 14-Jul-15 00:11:30
Print Post

[re: B31] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by B31:
Post codes are the least accurate way to check your cabinet.

But using the address checker, and entering the postcode alone, is not an inaccurate method. It gives you a choice of every address in the postcode, and lets you read the estimates for every single property within that postcode.

You'll find that the person you responded to knows this, and has written his own tool to perform the complete set of these checks.

Having many results helps check for anomalies ... so the 33 results retrieved give some level of confidence.

In reply to a post by B31:
Good luck! I'm in the same boat in another new-ish development.

The best advice for new and new-ish builds is ... don't move there unless/until the broadband has already been upgraded to your requirements.
Standard User B31
(regular) Tue 14-Jul-15 07:25:32
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

I was replying for the benefit of the OP and others who may stumble across this topic.

BT ADSL customer getting 1.9 Mbps on a new road / new build development
CAB not FTTC enabled, not part of the 66% commercial plan. Not rural - no BDUK funding
(Virgin Media nearby)
Standard User oddney
(newbie) Tue 14-Jul-15 14:05:34
Print Post

[re: B31] [link to this post]

i have contected EE about the speed they sent me a new router..
i have asked VM about fibre they said no..

who is the MP i speak for my area ?

i have so much stuff in my house that uses internet and wifi.. and 400-500 kb/s dont cut it
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to