General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User therioman
(knowledge is power) Mon 17-Aug-15 23:24:53
Print Post

Re: Place Your Bets

[re: Jax2] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Jax2:
Slight hiccup.

The man came out to prune the trees, did not do anything but said he would be back. Couple of days later not heard anything from him. Today BT rang up to arrange visits to install the fibre and were most surprised when I told them the trees had not been dealt with as their system said the tree man had been. I said yes he had been but he had not done anything. Oh says they, we will get back to you.

Wait and see I guess.

This sounds like the sort of experience we have pretty regularly. Today is no exception... I have a job for a regular PSTN provide, it's been surveyed at least 6 times now, it absolutely requires Traffic Management, they're supposed to be arranging it, yet today, despite this they sent the 12th engineer in a row to install the line, knowing damn well the Openreach service isn't yet in place to the edge of the premises (after which I've had cable laid and ducted the cabling to where we actually want it...)

...so to hear that they've sent someone who either did nothing, or wasn't what was required (for example needed 2 people, cherry picker etc) amazes me in no way.
Standard User therioman
(knowledge is power) Mon 17-Aug-15 23:30:14
Print Post

In reply to a post by Jax2:
Well I should have known better than to get excited. frown

<snip>

BT and the word organisation do not exactly sit well together in the same sentence.

<snip>

Another guy further up the road had ordered from BT who before they did anything else sent him a router, they then without telling him cancelled the order with no explanation. When he rang them up to find out what was happening they told him they would take a new order but he first had to send the router back so they could send him a router!

I hadn't see this post when I posted my first... but as you saw from my post, this is a typical comedy of errors when it comes to Openreach.

It boggles my mind how they can be so bad at communicating, but nonetheless they really are this bad, and you're not alone. I've had people out to install lines to the wrong location, to install a line that isn't there, I've had line boxes installed in street cabinets and not my property (yes, really), countless people turning up to not do the job, 3 people sent in 3 vans to install one line each on the same morning on an order of 3, when what I still need is a cherry picker + 1 person first... the list goes on. And almost all of that is for the same job.

I feel your pain, because I have to deal with this nonsense every single day.
Standard User Jax2
(member) Tue 18-Aug-15 09:56:07
Print Post

[re: therioman] [link to this post]

Honestly therioman I don't know how you cope with it every single day, it would drive me nuts. My wife is probably more accurate than me when she says we might get it by Christmas! It would not be quite so bad if my ADSL line was not so terrible and forever dropping.
All the engineers I have talked to, and I have talked to lots this year, all say communication and organisation is just as bad for them but they seem to have become resigned to it.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Jax2
(member) Wed 19-Aug-15 13:45:55
Print Post

I am beginning to hate Openreach. My present ADSL connection has become very unstable yet again (about 50 drops this morning) but Openreach refuse to do anything about it although an engineers appointment was requested by the ISP. The reason given is that there is an open order for a migration on the line, so they seem incapable of organising the fibre install so goodness knows when that will complete and will do nothing to help me with my present dreadful connection. frown
Standard User Jax2
(member) Fri 28-Aug-15 17:39:45
Print Post

Couple of weeks gone by since the last engineers visit but no sign of any action. Upon enquiring what is happening the answer was "don't know but it seems that you should receive a visit from a third party for tree surgery. Not sure what is happening there so we will contact them to enquire when they are likely to come out."

Next thing is to be informed that the order for the tree surgery has now been placed! When are they likely to do the job? "Oh check back on Tuesday the 2nd September, we expect it to have been done by then." Really? Coming out on the bank holiday Monday are they? Either BT do not even know there is a bank holiday or anything to fob me off, take your choice.
Standard User threelegs
(newbie) Sun 30-Aug-15 17:09:12
Print Post

Is it just me that wonders how much money it must cost to NOT do the job and if the job was done first time everytime the savings would probably pay for FTTP for the entire country
Standard User Jax2
(member) Sun 30-Aug-15 18:33:10
Print Post

[re: threelegs] [link to this post]

No you are not the only one to have had such thoughts, I have often wondered how much more roll out could have been done if only Openreach was efficient. The only thing is Openreach is a law unto itself and is essentially not answerable to anyone. Needs stiff competition to really shake things up if that is possible.
Standard User Jax2
(member) Thu 03-Sep-15 22:17:40
Print Post

Now three weeks gone by since the last failed external install. Having being assured that the tree cutting was expected to be completed by yesterday, which it hasn't been, I rang up to see if they could tell me when the tree surgeons were supposed to be coming out. This time I was told they cannot contact the tree surgeon firm. This is pathetic.
Not as bad as some though, have just discovered that the housing estate opposite which had ducting put in place last year and fibre run into the ducting in an armoured cable (according to an engineer) has had no access point point made available and any house that wants FTTP will have to have their drive dug up but of course no way of accessing the fibre after that. Careful planning eh?
Standard User Ribble
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 04-Sep-15 09:14:34
Print Post

You can see why fttp isn't popular with ISP's, its such a P.I.T.A!!
Standard User Jax2
(member) Fri 04-Sep-15 13:58:57
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

Yep, but there is no need for it. The main problem is a very inefficient organisation plus poor planning and a couldn't care less attitude. I am not blaming the engineers, the problem lies higher up probably in management. I have been told yet again to check back in a few days (after two months of being told the same thing) when all will be well. After saying I was not happy with that they have agreed to escalate the matter so I will know roughly when the tree surgeon will come out so I "should be told in a few hours". Over 24 hours have past and guess what? Nothing. They just seem to have a list of fob off lines to work through.
So far about 15 people down my road have placed an order for FTTP and after two months no-one has got it, all have problems with getting anything done.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to