General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User 11suttoj
(newbie) Wed 15-Jul-15 22:25:42
Print Post

When fibre optic will be available in my area.

[link to this post]

Hello everyone, i would really appreciate any sort of information on whether fibre optic will ever come to my village. I have looked around a lot but i haven't managed to find any evidence on whether i will ever get fibre broadband.

My download speed it currently 2 megabit and my upload is 0.15 and as a gamer, i never have the chance to play when my family is online. I have been in hope for a long time now and really would be grateful for any response.

If anyone would like to help me out, i live in Carthorpe, Bedale, North Yorkshire. My exchange is called Sinderby. Thank you for your time!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 15-Jul-15 22:51:46
Print Post

Re: When fibre optic will be available in my area.

[re: 11suttoj] [link to this post]

Are you an EO line or is cabinet 3 showing up when you do an availability check?

Cabinet 2 is live which serves premises in Pickhill, but am away from usual desk so don't have second guess info on future plans

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User 11suttoj
(newbie) Thu 16-Jul-15 08:05:14
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply. When i do the availability check it only shows the Sinderby exchange and no signs of a cabinet. Could this suggest that i am on an EO line?
Here is my full address if it helps:
Hill Top Cottage
Carthorpe
BEDALE
DL8 2LF

Edited by 11suttoj (Thu 16-Jul-15 08:07:07)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User nemeth782
(member) Thu 16-Jul-15 09:02:11
Print Post

You might want to edit that or put it in a PM.

BT Checker doesn't actually list anything for your address, try putting your phone number in here then pasting the result:

https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

Edited by nemeth782 (Thu 16-Jul-15 09:07:31)

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 16-Jul-15 09:36:01
Print Post

With the BT address checker look at your neighbours: Some are Cab3 and others are EO however your address returns: "Your address has been successfully matched; however we cannot determine ADSL availability at this address."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Thu 16-Jul-15 12:18:28
Print Post

The raw numbers suggest that half of the postcode makes use of cab 3, and half of the postcode is a direct EO line.

But that appears to be true of almost every postcode in the Carthorpe village.

Entering just the postcode into BT Wholesale's address checker (not postcode checker) will give you a list of every address in the postcode, so you can see which properties are connected to the cabinet, and match that with how the properties are laid out.
Address Checker

Another poster was right - the address listed as "Hill Top Cottage" gave no estimate, so was impossible to assess whether it went via cab 3. However, there is also an address listed as just "Hilltop" which does use cab 3. Is that you?

Right now, cab 3 has been included in plans as part of SFNY's "phase 2", which only started in earnest this springtime. Unfortunately, it goes on for another 18 months, so its impossible to tell when you might be included.

For your village, the "complete" solution would be to move all the EO lines into cab 3, a process known as "copper re-arrangement". This happens in some places, but it is impossible to know whether it will happen there.

The SFNY website doesn't appear to include plans for the cabinet on their map as yet - but the new map is incredibly hard to use/see. However, it does show that you currently have options from 3 wireless suppliers (LN Communications, Crabtree, Clannet)

Perhaps your best bet is to contact SFNY themselves. Email, or twitter.
http://www.superfastnorthyorkshire.com/contact-us
Standard User 11suttoj
(newbie) Thu 16-Jul-15 18:10:19
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

I would just like to say a big thank you to everyone that has replied, really appreciate it. I have more of an understanding now and i emailed SFNY and they replied:
Good Afternoon Mr Sutton
Thank you so much for your lovely email.
You will be probably be aware that SFNY has recently secured additional funding of £8m which will be used to extend fibre based broadband coverage to a further 11,000 premises across North Yorkshire. The rollout of this Phase 2 commenced in April 2015 and will be completed by the end of 2016.
The current plan shows that your postcode is included within the Phase 2 roll out. However it is too early at this stage to say when the superfast broadband service will become available.
Please register your interest on our website www.superfastnorthyorkshire.com , I will also send you an email to let you know when this has gone live and you are able to order fibre.
--
Kindest regards

Susan Hargadon
Community Project Executive - Superfast North Yorkshire

At least i know that within the next 18 months i will get fibre optic. Thanks.
  Print Thread

Jump to