General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User CHBMB
(newbie) Wed 15-Jul-15 23:22:51
Print Post

Wheaton Aston Exchange Only moving to Cabinet?

[link to this post]

Recently moved house, last house had Infinity 2 for the last 5 years or so, as was in one of the first places to get enabled.

New house finally connected to ADSL after a bit of hassle from BT. I chose to stay with BT as thought it would be easier to get updated to FTTC when we get upgraded as part of the superfaststaffordshire project rather than be tied into a 12 month contract with a different supplier who doesn't offer FTTC. Unfortunately my ADSL speed although showing a line at ~8000kb/s seems to be more in the region of ~2000kb/s

I couldn't check the line prior to moving as never knew the phone number of the previous owners. So just crossed my fingers and hoped I'd be connected to a cabinet.

Managed to gather a bit of information from telecom-tariffs.co.uk and BT's dsl checker but not sure exactly how to interpret what I'm seeing.

telecom-tariffs.co.uk Info 1
telecom-tariffs.co.uk Info 2
DSL Checker Info

My postcode is ST19 9NL, not keen on posting my phone number on an open forum for obvious reasons.

To me it looks like 99% of properties will be connected to a cabinet once P1 goes live, but currently 87% are on EO lines but I'm not exactly sure and would appreciate some advice.

I could probably live with getting 8Mb/s but not even achieving 2Mb/s might be a reason to move again, so I'm really hoping FTTC will be a possibility.
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Thu 16-Jul-15 01:12:37
Print Post

Re: Wheaton Aston Exchange Only moving to Cabinet?

[re: CHBMB] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by CHBMB:
To me it looks like 99% of properties will be connected to a cabinet once P1 goes live, but currently 87% are on EO lines but I'm not exactly sure and would appreciate some advice.

That looks to be the right conclusion.

The checker tells you that you are currently on an EO line (there is no mention of a cabinet on the first line). You'll need the checker to change to tell you about a cabinet first, then a change to include FTTC details.

If it ever changes to tell you that you are on a cabinet, fails to give you FTTC estimates, but does report on fibre multicast, then you're too far from the cab to benefit.

Managed to gather a bit of information from telecom-tariffs.co.uk and BT's dsl checker but not sure exactly how to interpret what I'm seeing.

Pick one of the postcodes that is 100% served by cab 1, that is near cab 1, and put it in the checker (the address checker, not the postcode checker). That way you can watch for activation of the cab, if it happens independently of your line moving over.

I could probably live with getting 8Mb/s but not even achieving 2Mb/s might be a reason to move again, so I'm really hoping FTTC will be a possibility.

Are you using an ADSL2+ router/modem, or have you fallen back into using an old ADSL-only modems?

I only ask, because with BT as an ISP, you should be able to use ADSL2+, and should be able to get 15Mbps+.
Standard User CHBMB
(newbie) Thu 16-Jul-15 18:45:38
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

That looks to be the right conclusion.

The checker tells you that you are currently on an EO line (there is no mention of a cabinet on the first line). You'll need the checker to change to tell you about a cabinet first, then a change to include FTTC details.

If it ever changes to tell you that you are on a cabinet, fails to give you FTTC estimates, but does report on fibre multicast, then you're too far from the cab to benefit.

Great, thanks for confirming what I thought, anyway to find out when phase 13b is planned?

Pick one of the postcodes that is 100% served by cab 1, that is near cab 1, and put it in the checker (the address checker, not the postcode checker). That way you can watch for activation of the cab, if it happens independently of your line moving over.

That makes sense, good idea, wouldn't have thought of that.

Are you using an ADSL2+ router/modem, or have you fallen back into using an old ADSL-only modems?

I've used both the HH4 & my Asus DSL-AC68U, although unsure of the best settings to apply for my Asus, do you happen to know of any good sites to look at for ADSL settings for BT Broadband?

I only ask, because with BT as an ISP, you should be able to use ADSL2+, and should be able to get 15Mbps+.

Yeah I was expecting a little more than 2MB/s to be honest. Was going to give it a bit of time to settle in and see what transpires, wondered if DLM would stabilise so trying not to disconnect & reconnect things too much for the moment,

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User PaulKirby
(experienced) Thu 16-Jul-15 20:28:36
Print Post

Its basically saying that the 87% that was on a Exchange Only Block will be split up over two cabinets, where Cabinet 1 with end up supporting 81% and cabinet 4 supporting the remaining 18% of your postcode.

The following information is correct as of 20:25 16th July 2015.
[ST19 9NL]
Has 3 result(s) connected to Cabinet 4 with FTTC with approximate speeds around the following:
Range A: 74.0 -> 80.0 (downstream) 20.0 -> 20.0 (upstream)
Range B: 61.9 -> 80.0 (downstream) 12.2 -> 20.0 (upstream)

Has 14 result(s) connected to an EO (Exchange Only) line with ADSLx with approximate speeds around the following:
ADSLx (Worst): Up to 17.0 (downstream rate) -- (upsrteam rate) 10.0 to 19.5 (downstream range)
ADSLx (Best): Up to 17.0 (downstream rate) -- (upsrteam rate) 10.0 to 19.5 (downstream range)
So I was close...

Cabinet 4 already have they 3 lines and Cabinet 1 will receive the remaining 14 lines.

Some Maths...
P1 has (100 / 17) * 14 = 82.35294118 (say 82.35) %
P4 has (100 / 17) * 3 = 17.64705882 (say 17.65) %
And (82.35 + 17.65) = 100 %

So I "think" that is what its means is going to happen.

Paul
Standard User CHBMB
(newbie) Thu 16-Jul-15 20:41:40
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Thanks Paul,

That would fit with my research , currently 3 houses in my postcode are able to get FTTC, I'm in one of the 14 that currently cannot, although it's starting to look likely that at some point I will.

I did tweet superfaststaffs some time ago and it was forecast to be completed by the end of June 2015, but that has come and gone, I can live with the knowledge that it's in progress and it helps sweeten the fact I'm paying over the odds for ADSL rather than with TalkTalk but at least now I'll be able to upgrade as soon as available rather than be tied into a 12 month contract with TalkTalk.

I have to say, what a helpful site, with members doing some quite in depth research to help others.

Certainly appreciated by me Gents, so thank you!
Standard User PaulKirby
(experienced) Thu 16-Jul-15 20:57:00
Print Post

Thanks Paul,

That would fit with my research , currently 3 houses in my postcode are able to get FTTC, I'm in one of the 14 that currently cannot, although it's starting to look likely that at some point I will.

I did tweet superfaststaffs some time ago and it was forecast to be completed by the end of June 2015, but that has come and gone, I can live with the knowledge that it's in progress and it helps sweeten the fact I'm paying over the odds for ADSL rather than with TalkTalk but at least now I'll be able to upgrade as soon as available rather than be tied into a 12 month contract with TalkTalk.

I have to say, what a helpful site, with members doing some quite in depth research to help others.

Certainly appreciated by me Gents, so thank you!
Yeah, we have been waiting for almost 4 years for our FTTP to be completed and its seems its just around the corner to go live (I.e. end of July) being stuck on between 4 to 5Mbps (on a good day) 5 people using the connection is rather painful,.

Granted there are loads of other places a lot worse so I cannot moan really, seems your getting around 17Mbps so not too bad of a connection while you wait wink

By the way have you located where cabinet 1 is located?

As for the info I posted, I do some data mining and have written my own application that helps with that which was originally written for looking up information for our exchange and having an automated app check over 30K lines is better than doing it by hand LOL

So I don't mind doing the odd check for someone if it doesn't take too long.

Paul
Standard User CHBMB
(newbie) Thu 16-Jul-15 21:23:31
Print Post

Granted there are loads of other places a lot worse so I cannot moan really, seems your getting around 17Mbps so not too bad of a connection while you wait

Nope getting 8Mb/s rather than 17Mb/s, did wonder if it's due to the 1960's telegraph pole and the old BT equipment (Master socket has the T with the dots making up one side of the horizontal bit and that's connected to the entry point which is a matchstick size box containing the black external cable and then a 3 inch connecting 2 wire lead to the master socket.

I have disconnected the plethora of other phone sockets around the house, the previous owners must have had phones every 6 feet or so, there's enough spare telephone cable in our house to circumnavigate the globe!

I've got my modem/router connected to a short (less than 3m) extension that goes through a wall and into the lounge as there's no power near my master socket, connected it up fine with a Punch Down Tool after confirming the voltages and no apparent speed drop between extension and master (Filters on both)

Haven't located Cabinet 1 yet, although found the area which is closest to it, so will have a look next time I'm around the area.

Went for a walk the other day and saw a Cabinet, but can't remember where.

FTTP is like a dream, I was about to say it'll be worth the wait but 4 years is a long time...

Still looking online to see if I can find any information on BDUK Staffordshire Phase 13b is , but seeing as Phase 12 has already been completed the optimist in me can't see it being too long...
Standard User PaulKirby
(experienced) Thu 16-Jul-15 22:06:22
Print Post

Granted there are loads of other places a lot worse so I cannot moan really, seems your getting around 17Mbps so not too bad of a connection while you wait
Nope getting 8Mb/s rather than 17Mb/s, did wonder if it's due to the 1960's telegraph pole and the old BT equipment (Master socket has the T with the dots making up one side of the horizontal bit and that's connected to the entry point which is a matchstick size box containing the black external cable and then a 3 inch connecting 2 wire lead to the master socket.
Wow you should be getting faster that that, 241m from the exchange (granted it all depends on the routing of the cables) but the DSL Checker says "Up to 17.0 (downstream rate) -- (upsrteam rate) 10.0 to 19.5 (downstream range)" and in my eyes 8Mbps is lower than their 10 to 19.5 thats all.

What does your neighbours get speed wise?

And that socket with the T on is old, I remember those and still have some in a box.

You really need to change those to moden ones like these:
NTE5A + MKIII VDSL Filter Costs about £19.99
Krone Tool Costs about £1.99

There are probably cheaper places to buy those items.

And the NTE5A socket needs to be the first and only socket connected to the BT80 Box that should be the first box the phone line goes into when it enters your house and looks like this image: Block-Terminal-80a-BT80a-Junction-Box

You just need to be carful when you go into that BT80A Junction Box due to its BT's Property and if you goof that up you will probably get charged for an engineer to resolve the issue.

I have disconnected the plethora of other phone sockets around the house, the previous owners must have had phones every 6 feet or so, there's enough spare telephone cable in our house to circumnavigate the globe!

I've got my modem/router connected to a short (less than 3m) extension that goes through a wall and into the lounge as there's no power near my master socket, connected it up fine with a Punch Down Tool after confirming the voltages and no apparent speed drop between extension and master (Filters on both)

Haven't located Cabinet 1 yet, although found the area which is closest to it, so will have a look next time I'm around the area.

Went for a walk the other day and saw a Cabinet, but can't remember where.
Well I have found Cabinet 4, still cannot find Cabinet 1, finding cabinets once they have fibre is easier.

FTTP is like a dream, I was about to say it'll be worth the wait but 4 years is a long time...
Tell me about it, the top half of our road and most side roads already have FTTP and have done since 2011, what makes it worse if there is fibre several doors down tongue

Still looking online to see if I can find any information on BDUK Staffordshire Phase 13b is , but seeing as Phase 12 has already been completed the optimist in me can't see it being too long...
Well hopefully not too long, most of those BDUK Sites cause more confusion than good.

Paul
Standard User CHBMB
(newbie) Thu 16-Jul-15 22:36:46
Print Post

Thanks for that Paul, I've already got a Krone tool, almost identical, used it to wire in the extension.

I am tempted to magically make the master socket appear on the other side of the wall into my lounge. wink

Just not sure my drill is up to it.

The BT80 box is what I have next to my master socket, although mine is cracked and yellow through age.

Do you think it wil make a measurable difference though?

Also, I was wondering about cable quality, at the moment there is just a 2 core untwisted cable connecting the BT-80 to master (only about 3" long) and then some cheap extension cable punched directly from master socket to extension in lounge.

I haven't changed anything yet as I seem to remember when I had FTTC at my last house BT came and the chap moved my master socket for me, so I was going to hold off and wait for that especially as I think it's illegal to tamper with the socket, although I have to say it's so easy to do with a voltmeter to check the wires and a bit of common sense.

My speed seems to have gone up since last night so I'm hoping it'll continue to rise, I've got my Asus instead of the homehub as I need to do some port forwarding and have a VPN which is way beyond the HH4's capabilities.

I've found that Marston Close is the closest location to cabinet 1, so I've gone up and down on google maps but can't see it, Cab 4 that you posted may have been the one I've seen but I'll need to go and have a look to confirm.
Standard User CHBMB
(newbie) Fri 17-Jul-15 22:41:03
Print Post

Well, found the cabinet!

Have been driving past it twice a day since we moved in. I think it's just outside or very close to the telephone exchange in this location here.

New Cabinet

It's not visible on google maps as I don't think it was there last time the area was photographed.

Interestingly the cabinet you posted earlier in the thread is still present but there's a new one not visible on google maps about 5 yards from it covered in superfast regalia.

They don't make it easy or transparent to find out information do they?!

Still pondering whether to move my master socket....
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to