General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User werdna
(newbie) Sun 19-Jul-15 10:16:08
Print Post

Infinity 2, FTTC, speed changes

[link to this post]

My "up" noise margin figure, (the first of two figures shown on the Home Hub5 Helpdesk page, e.g. 14.9/6.3) fluctuates after each frequently occuring reset. Sometimes in range, say 6.0 but next time much higher, say 14.9. The second figure, ( "down" ?) always stays around 6. Therefore my "up" speed goes from any approx. .5mbps to 4.5 mbps. What could cause this? Is it intermittent noise on the line which I have heard sometimes? If so can BT fix it? My Home Hub is plugged into the master socket as is my BT cordless phone.where the line enters my house and there are no extensions. Does this mean the fault lies between my house and the cabinet?

Hope this is clear and appreciate any help as BT are not very forthcoming. This has been going on with them for weeks.

John
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 19-Jul-15 10:45:20
Print Post

Re: Infinity 2, FTTC, speed changes

[re: werdna] [link to this post]

One presumes there is a microfilter or VDSL2 faceplate involved too.

First step is to try the test socket and leave the cordless phone unplugged (its rare but some phones don't play very with ADSL or VDSL)

If just the upstream is fluctuating then points to a bursty noise issue but you need to eliminate your own hardware before pressing for a fault visit.

Also worth doing things like unplugging phone charges and as much other electrical kit to rule out interference from them.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 19-Jul-15 10:50:39
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I always recommend unplugging DECT phones from the mains wall socket, to shut the power unit up. Many people just unplug the phone cable unless that is made clear.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 57676/14040kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User werdna
(newbie) Sun 19-Jul-15 11:59:32
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

It's fair to say that the suggestions so far may help. Home hub is into VDSL faceplate with no filter. Am also using powerline system to PC and Tv. Also a couple of wifi extenders around the house. However all of this was in place for months and I consistently got 34mbps down and 5mbps up. Hence my query what has gone wrong recently?
Many thanks,

John
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 19-Jul-15 12:25:53
Print Post

The filter in the VDSL2 faceplate may have failed. This can happen.

Carefully remove the lower faceplate - any extension wires will be attached to it. Then again carefully remove the VDSL2 filter. Behind that you will see the original test socket. See this page for more detail.

Try a normal dangly filter into that, as you would for ADSLx.

Umm, I just remembered "Is it intermittent noise on the line which I have heard sometimes?"

By heard, do you mean read about, or do you mean you do have intermittent noise on the line?

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 57676/14040kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 19-Jul-15 12:27:52)

Standard User werdna
(newbie) Sun 19-Jul-15 12:31:16
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Heard noise sometimes.
Standard User johnlowe
(newbie) Mon 20-Jul-15 14:31:36
Print Post

Further to my problems, I have just noticed, and have on a couple of previous occasions, that when the phone rings it sometimes knocks out my broadband and the Home Hub resets itself.

Is this a clue to what might be wrong?

many thanks,

John
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 20-Jul-15 14:50:48
Print Post

[re: johnlowe] [link to this post]

Urm confused - different poster.

Phone ringing and disconnecting is a filter issue, or a High Resistance problem which can be tested for but if intermittent may not be spot at the time of testing.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 20-Jul-15 14:52:22
Print Post

In which case remove all broadband hardware including the faceplate, and plug a corded phone into the test socket, if that is noisy then can report a voice fault of a noisy line, easier if you report while the noise is happening.

If the noise goes away once broadband hardware is disconnected points more to filters, wiring, modem/router issues,

Print Thread

Jump to