General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Fenris
(experienced) Mon 20-Jul-15 16:27:36
Print Post

Wireless VDSL/ADSL Modem Router Recommendations

[link to this post]

The provided talktalk router for fibre loses me at least 8Mb over Wifi, I tried a a pair of powerline A500 adapters and lost 11Mb!
Over Ethernet right by the test socket I got just over 37Mb [only on the 40Mb/2Mb package] so that was as good as it was going to get.

But my PC is upstairs and I don't want to fuss around with a 10 metre ethernet cable or make holes in the ceiling! For anyone who uses WiFi, what are the fastest modem/routers you use and recommend trying?

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 20-Jul-15 17:12:15
Print Post

Re: Wireless VDSL/ADSL Modem Router Recommendations

[re: Fenris] [link to this post]

Kit like the Asus DSL-AC68U not cheap at £139

To be honest if your only problem is the Wi-Fi then turn it off on the TalkTalk router and use an access point to create a dual-band network with support for 802.11ac and you can use kit like TP Link Archer C8 in access point mode.

Or if on a budget then the Archer C5 at £57 should go a lot faster.

Even the real cheap TP Link stuff at £37 is likely to outperform your current setup.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Fenris
(experienced) Mon 20-Jul-15 22:11:40
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Kit like the Asus DSL-AC68U not cheap at £139

To be honest if your only problem is the Wi-Fi then turn it off on the TalkTalk router and use an access point to create a dual-band network with support for 802.11ac and you can use kit like TP Link Archer C8 in access point mode.

Or if on a budget then the Archer C5 at £57 should go a lot faster.

Even the real cheap TP Link stuff at £37 is likely to outperform your current setup.

OK thanks, I guess I better dig in my pockets then, I like the NETGEAR D6400-100UKS AC1600 that's the same price range as the Asus. I don't really want a separate WiFi router to have to plug in also, so I think I'll cope with how it is for now.

Edited by Fenris (Mon 20-Jul-15 22:15:42)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User CHBMB
(newbie) Mon 20-Jul-15 22:32:25
Print Post

[re: Fenris] [link to this post]

I can recommend the Asus, got one and absolutely love it, have used it on VDSL prior to my recent house move and now on ADSL. A lot of the stuff you read on the Internet when you Google certainly suggests the early release period was blighted by problems but I've not had a problem. AC WiFi and VPN (Asus provide dynamic DNS for the VPN) are great.
  Print Thread

Jump to