General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User MrBukey
(newbie) Tue 21-Jul-15 10:18:50
Print Post

Different phone number for FTTC service?

[link to this post]

Has anyone seen this before? Basically I've had a new line go in. I've been given a phone number for my voice service, and a completely different one for my fibre service.

The ISP is confused, as was the engineer that activated the fibre - and I've never heard of/seen this before.

Everything's working as it should - my usage is incrementing on the ISPs portal under the fibre phone number, and the caller ID from the voice line is showing as the number I've been given for that.

Everything's working - which is the main thing... It's a BT Wholesale line, I just don't want them to realise they've made a mistake which results in messing up my line later, if that makes sense...!

I just wondered if anyone else had seen anything similar before? If this was normal if infrequent?

Thanks in advance for any replies. smile

VM Cable 152/12 + Zen 80/20 (+ Sky 80/20, about to cease)
Standard User arobertson545
(member) Tue 21-Jul-15 16:48:25
Print Post

Re: Different phone number for FTTC service?

[re: MrBukey] [link to this post]

You couldn't have a new number for FTTC unless you are having a new phone line installed.

Either that or you're getting FTTP which doesn't have a phone number at all.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 21-Jul-15 16:52:22
Print Post

No such thing as a fibre phone number. The only phone number should be the one for the copper phone line

Sounds more like an ISP admin issue particularly as Openreach has provided FTTC on the right physical line.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MrBukey
(newbie) Tue 21-Jul-15 16:59:53
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I do have a separate phone number for FTTC, and this isn't just an ISP admin issue - the Openreach engineer that installed the phone line last Monday had one number, and the Openreach engineer that activated the fibre had another.

The engineer that activated the fibre was confused - when he asked for the phone number and I gave it to him he thought there was a mistake, he thought he was activating fibre on the number he had and my voice number was obviously different.

He then went to the cabinet, and phoned my mobile and asked me to check that I didn't have a dial tone as he definitely wanted to make sure he had the right line so he'd disconnected at the cab to test - he had got the right line.

After setting me up, when he rang the circuit activation number for fibre from the landline, it gave the "fibre phone number" as the circuit number - not the "voice number".

When you call from the phone line to a mobile, the caller ID gives the voice phone number.

Something's definitely strange - but I have one line, voice and FTTC services both on them, but it seems that there are two phone numbers.

As I say - I've never seen it before either - nor have the ISP, nor had the Openreach engineer....

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 21-Jul-15 17:17:50
Print Post

If you ring in, does one or both numbers work? If one doesn't, who answers it and did they have a fibre order go wrong? Or even have the same problem, reversed?

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 57676/14040kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 21-Jul-15 17:19:18
Print Post

Circuit number is different to a phone number, there is a circuit identifier that exists so identify a physical line. This is because phone numbers are virtual and can move around.

Suspect a confusion from quoting circuit id thinking it is a phone number.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MrBukey
(newbie) Tue 21-Jul-15 17:21:05
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
If you ring in, does one or both numbers work? If one doesn't, who answers it and did they have a fibre order go wrong? Or even have the same problem, reversed?

The voice number rings my phone. The fibre number doesn't ring my phone, but does ring and nobody has answered so far. I've rung it a lot to try and find out since it went live on Friday.

Did a few downloads from MSDN, and the stats are showing accurately on the ISP's portal....

I think it's a mess up somehow, but the ISP are saying that as everything's working don't worry about it... I just get concerned that Openreach may realise a mess up in future and then actually screw up my line....

Standard User MrBukey
(newbie) Tue 21-Jul-15 17:24:06
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Circuit number is different to a phone number, there is a circuit identifier that exists so identify a physical line. This is because phone numbers are virtual and can move around.

Suspect a confusion from quoting circuit id thinking it is a phone number.

Okay that would make sense. Would the circuit ID be in the same format of a phone number (e.g. start with the dialling code for the area and have the same number of digits as a phone number?)?

The number read out by the automated voice when he put the phone on speaker phone (after dialling to activate the circuit) was the "fibre phone number".

Standard User troublegum
(regular) Tue 21-Jul-15 17:39:57
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrBukey:
Okay that would make sense. Would the circuit ID be in the same format of a phone number (e.g. start with the dialling code for the area and have the same number of digits as a phone number?)?

Nope, nothing like it. It starts OGEA then some numbers, 8 i think.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 21-Jul-15 18:06:50
Print Post

[re: troublegum] [link to this post]

Long time since I've seen one, sounds more and more like provider just quoting a wrong number somewhere then.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to