General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User arobertson545
(member) Wed 22-Jul-15 11:22:49
Print Post

SFI2?

[link to this post]

We have an intermittently dropping FTTC connection, a long with a loss of downstream sync since FTTC was installed two months ago (it dropped from 52Mb to 30Mb - it's now recovered a bit likely due to G.INP being applied yesterday).

TalkTalk were being useless so we contacted the CEO's office.

We're now in contact with TalkTalk's UK engineering team who are being very helpful but the issue still has not been resolved.

We've had four engineer visits and each time their tests pass and they leave - because "there is nothing for them to fix".

The issue is intermittent, hence why their tests pass. Trying to get them to do something (a D-side change and then a lift and shift would the best solution as that would eliminate everything) based on what I'm telling them is difficult as when their tests pass they're told to go.

I've done some research on it and there's an Openreach product called an SFI2. Supposedly this service will essentially mean TalkTalk can "pay" Openreach to replace the D-side. Has anybody used this service?

P.S. This has been posted elsewhere.

Edited by arobertson545 (Wed 22-Jul-15 11:23:26)

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Wed 22-Jul-15 12:00:04
Print Post

Re: SFI2?

[re: arobertson545] [link to this post]

Why would they authorise a SFI visit if the tests pass?
Standard User AdrianPH
(learned) Wed 22-Jul-15 12:27:34
Print Post

Or is the problem the number of times per day you play with settings or change router?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Icaras
(committed) Wed 22-Jul-15 13:35:57
Print Post

If the standard line test passes then TalkTalk can ask for an SFI visit.

However if TalkTalk ask for the D-side to be changed and the engineer on the day can't find a problem with the D-side then it won't be changed.

However, that's all irrelevant because you're on FTTC. Therefore if everything tests ok and your speed is where the estimates say it should be then TalkTalk will request an FTTC Superfast Assure Visit. If your speed is well below the estimate or the FTTC test system called Brandeburg sees a broadband fault then a FTTC fault visit will be requested (TalkTalk generally wouldn't pay for that).

So what was your original personalised speed estimate when you signed up?
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Wed 22-Jul-15 14:47:12
Print Post

[re: Icaras] [link to this post]

47Mb
(member) Wed 22-Jul-15 15:28:11
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

The issue isn't the slow speed, it's the dropping connection.

The issue is, that when the engineers come their tests pass because the issue is intermittent - we might go a week without a drop and then we might have four or five in one day.

The reading I've done seems to suggest that an SFI (not SFI2) is probably what I've had.

The SFI2 visit involves TalkTalk speaking to the engineer on the day via the phone and basically telling him what to do.
Standard User MrBukey
(newbie) Wed 22-Jul-15 16:02:34
Print Post

Strap yourself in for a bumpy ride.

I had intermittent issues on my Sky line. At its worst there were 158 dropouts in 24 hours, at its best I went about three days without a drop on two occasions over a few month period.

Because there wasn't a "fault" when the Openreach engineer was in my house or at the cab, I kept being told there was little they could do.... I had to force them to actually look at the logs I'd collected via RouterStatsLite and the syslog - even though I'd pushed them to easy consume graphs and tables using Splunk.

I had 4 engineer visits without coming into the property, and 6 in the house... REIN checked extensively inside and outside the house and all the way back to the cab, lift and shift including D side change eventually done (visit to the house number 5, but 4 engineers had wanted to do it before that but the DCO said no).

After engineer visit 6 to my home, the problem still wasn't sorted and the engineer wanted to do a cease and re-provide, but the DCO said no. I then decided to leave Sky and go with Zen and bolt on Critical Care (I think Openreach call it Enhanced Care, but not all providers offer it).

The problem with intermittent issues is that the Openreach DCO processes don't allow them to authorise anything to be done if the fault's not there when they are. The first thing an engineer does when they arrive is unplug everything and plug in their own test equipment (understandably) - they then plug and unplug several pieces of equipment, which could all cause a drop to be missed even if it occurs whilst they're there....

Eventually my problem was solved. It disappeared without rhyme or reason several weeks after the last engineer visit but whilst I was waiting for the Zen line to go in....

VM Cable 152/12 + Zen 80/20 (+ Sky 80/20, about to cease)
(member) Wed 22-Jul-15 18:05:14
Print Post

[re: MrBukey] [link to this post]

I just want Openreach to change the entire line and I believe then the issue would be resolved.
Standard User MrBukey
(learned) Wed 22-Jul-15 18:21:29
Print Post

I feel your pain, and know exactly where you're at. That's what I thought I was going to need to do, so I ended up ordering a brand new line through Zen whilst the old one was live - they did manage to sort it in between the last visit and the new line going live....

VM Cable 152/12 + Zen 80/20 (+ Sky 80/20, about to cease)

Edited by MrBukey (Wed 22-Jul-15 18:22:10)

(member) Wed 22-Jul-15 18:24:24
Print Post

[re: MrBukey] [link to this post]

But then I'd lose my phone number and I don't want that! frown

Like I say, I've got a fairly willing TalkTalk UK senior engineer on the case now who I am hoping I can persuade to get Openreach to change the line.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to