General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ansam
(regular) Wed 22-Jul-15 15:46:10
Print Post

Damn Virgin got me excited :)

[link to this post]

Hello,

Driving down the street this morning I noticed Virgin Media where digging up the road. I thought great! they might be coming into my area but all it seems they have done is dig a whole and put a man hole cover over it frown

Morrisons utilities where digging up the other end of the street and inserting some Grey tubes which I think is in preparation for BT fibre.

When I signed up for CableMyStreet I did get an e-mail a few weeks after "We’re getting in touch with the great news that your area is part of our expansion plans!" but I thought that was them perhaps starting the roll out.

I assume there where just passing through the street for something else frown

Regards,
Sam
Standard User PaulKirby
(experienced) Thu 23-Jul-15 06:10:39
Print Post

Re: Damn Virgin got me excited :)

[re: ansam] [link to this post]

Sorry for my long reply, but Virgin Media is on my black list now and has been for a few months now due to lying to me on many occasions over several months, I would like to say how I really feel about them as a company, but every word would come up as being censored, anyhow here is what happened for us.

I would first like to say that don't believe anything Virgin Media say either in emails, over the phone or from any of their engineers, they are just liars plain and simple, some people could say the same for BT, but with BT we have at least been able to resolve our issues whereas with VM we hadn't.

We was promised VM Fibre every month that I called from October 2014, each time I explained that we live in a conservation area where I was reassured via email and also over the phone that our road and side roads was part of that last multi million pound funding that was to install their fibre into east London.

Each time I phoned I explained that we was told they will be installing fibre down our road along with it being a conservation area and was told that's fine we can work with our council around that issue, I also told them we would need to have their cabinets installed first, and was told that they would send out an engineer to survey our area and that the engineer would also pop round to explain what's to happen etc.

A month goes past and no engineer so I phone them again and I am fobbed off with sorry the engineer couldn't find any of their cables in our area or down our road, so I told them yet again I was aware of that and that I already said that last month, so I was yet again told that they would send out an engineer to survey our area to locate where they could place their cabinets to work around our are being a conservation area and that the engineer would pop round to explain stuff.

Now yet again another month and no sign of the engineer, so I phoned again and yes you guessed it, no cables in our area etc, this happened each moth that I phoned them.

Several months later no sign of any VM Fibre where I had enough and demanded to speak to somebody high up so my last phone call was elevated several times until I was passed onto somebody that could possibly give me some answers why I was fobbed off each month for several months each time being reassured that we are not being forgotten or left out and that our pose code is one of many down for that project and it will get done and that we are still work in progress.

After 20 odd mins of them explaining I was told that our area is not being upgraded with their fibre project and that our area was the only area in our borough that will not be upgraded and that was that, no reason why but sorry.

Its a shame really due to my parents wanted to have our TV, Phone and broadband packages all in one so that we could get rid of our 4 SKY HD Boxes and was intending to have a few Tivo boxes to replace those.

We are due to have our fibre go live (so I have been told by BTOR via email) that our FTTP is still down to be ready to order end of July, so if all goes well 8 days to go.

Basically it would of been nice to have a choice of who to go with but this has left us with BT which is fine.

TBH I preferred BT over VM due to how its installed where with VM they would need to dig up our footway up our road, drill a hole in our garden wall, dig a trench up to our home, drill another hole in the wall of our home, however with BT only one hole is drilled in our wall and no digging up our footway etc.

There are probably many people that have similar feelings about VM as well as people that have issue with BT.

My choices are all based off how we have been treated and how or if it was resolved, it could of easily gone the other way.

Once again sorry for my long post about VM and how I feel about them of a company.

Paul
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 23-Jul-15 08:46:41
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Until infrastructure is actually delivered and live anything is just plans and plans can and do change. The intention may be to do something but if things go wrong then they may pull the plug.

I hope that BT deliver but it is quite possible at this stage in July that things may well change and be put back further.

The same happens in many industries - if the thing isn't built yet then things can be delayed - installed fixed line telecoms is a minefield and can be affected by many issues - a lot of which are out of the direct control of the provider.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User PaulKirby
(experienced) Thu 23-Jul-15 09:13:00
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian72:
Until infrastructure is actually delivered and live anything is just plans and plans can and do change. The intention may be to do something but if things go wrong then they may pull the plug.
Well I was finally told when I asked if VM had plans in the near future to install in our area, and I was told defiantly not in the next 5 to 10 years.

I hope that BT deliver but it is quite possible at this stage in July that things may well change and be put back further.
Well we have had all the hardware and funny enough all of the actual fibre cables since Oct - Dec 2011, only that we had a broken fibre cable which was the only reason why we never got it back then.

This broken fibre originally consisting of 40 (possibly 48) odd strands has now been replaced with either a 70 (possibly 72) or 90 (possibly 96) odd strands one and that was done a few weeks ago, the last fibre engineer from BTOR said this last bit of work was the last bit and all we have to do is wait for the database to be updated to live before we can order it.

I emailed Openreach a few times now about status updates and I have been told that its still down as being scheduled for end of July, even though all the work has already been done, so I guess that the end of July is when loads of fibre install might go live then.

The same happens in many industries - if the thing isn't built yet then things can be delayed - installed fixed line telecoms is a minefield and can be affected by many issues - a lot of which are out of the direct control of the provider.
Oh I understand that, but VM kept fobbing me off month after month even though I blatantly told them that there is no installed cabinets down our road where they then said that's fine and that their cabling is in our area and that they would send an engineer round to see where the cabinets can be placed and then one month later I am then told sorry they are not in my area and then the same thing over and over again over several months, and each time this info was entered onto their system, that's what really annoyed me, it also seems that they have no clue where their sodding cables are placed, sorry if I sound rude, but it really annoyed me.

Paul
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 23-Jul-15 10:27:44
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

I suspect the people at VM were just going on the basic info they had available to them - it probably wasn't detailed enough to give the right answer. This is obviously not good but they were most likely not purposefully lying just not well enough informed to give the right answer.

Just in case it isn't clear I am agreeing that it isn't good enough but probably not purposely deceitful.
Standard User PaulKirby
(experienced) Thu 23-Jul-15 10:41:14
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

I suspect the people at VM were just going on the basic info they had available to them - it probably wasn't detailed enough to give the right answer. This is obviously not good but they were most likely not purposefully lying just not well enough informed to give the right answer.

Just in case it isn't clear I am agreeing that it isn't good enough but probably not purposely deceitful.
I agree to that to a certain degree, however the original initial phone call I got from them after filling out their form, I was told by the department that deals with the actual project and they told me that our actual postcode and even where the several cabinets would go to support our road along with the several side roads, I was even given an estimated date.

But yeah, things happen resulting in not getting fibre, but to be told several months later that our area was never down for it where the initial call by them said we was says somebody was lying or was misinformed.

I just wished they would man up and say "Sorry we was wrong and this was the reason why we are unable to install our fibre product in your area", TBH I already had a feeling that it wouldn't get installed, but to be reassured that it would several times added fuel to the fire LOL.

TBH if VM changed their mind and did finally install their fibre product I would still go with BT.

Paul
Standard User sheppy
(regular) Thu 23-Jul-15 13:00:28
Print Post

Drumchapel ?
Standard User ansam
(regular) Thu 23-Jul-15 14:26:54
Print Post

[re: sheppy] [link to this post]

Yep Drumchapel
Standard User sheppy
(regular) Thu 23-Jul-15 15:13:43
Print Post

whereabouts where they?

I have a FTTC line back up north in my dad's house, got the same email about virgin doing the overbuild in Drumchapel.

Pete
Standard User ansam
(regular) Thu 23-Jul-15 15:17:16
Print Post

[re: sheppy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by sheppy:
whereabouts where they?

I have a FTTC line back up north in my dad's house, got the same email about virgin doing the overbuild in Drumchapel.

Pete

Sunnyside Drive
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to