General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User carrobesit
(learned) Thu 23-Jul-15 17:32:45
Print Post

Odd vDSL speed/profile issue

[link to this post]

I have an odd problem with a customer that we are working with our ISP to solve, and I thought I'd run it past the collective minds here to make sure I'm not being stupid or missing something.

Customer previously had WBC ADSL running at ~4.8Mb/s. Upgraded to FTTC 40/10 on the basis of getting up to 26.7Mb/s. Kellys engineer came out on the appointed day and did the install, installing a new NTE5 in the house with the interstitial plate (line previously went from the internal BT DP to a patch panel so he rewired from DP to an NTE5).

Since then, we have only been able to get a maximum of ~4.7Mb/s and using the BT Wholesale speedtester's further diagnosis, our IP profile is 4.72 which would sound about right for the old ADSL circuit. However, this is a lot lower than the expected speed, and half of the Range B Low speed of 9.8Mb/s.

The next odd thing is that this line will only sync through the Openreach modem. If I connect the Draytek 2760 directly to the line, it stays on Training and refuses to actually sync. Put the Openreach modem back on and it syncs fine.

Could this be as simple as needing a profile reset by the carrier? Or is it feasible to go full-on conspiracy theory and suspect that the cabinet work has been botched and we're still on an ADSL circuit? Would the Openreach modem (Huawei) even sync on ADSL?

The ISP is working with their carrier to try and figure this out, but I thought I would post here to see if I'm going mad or not.

RobC.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 23-Jul-15 22:26:39
Print Post

Re: Odd vDSL speed/profile issue

[re: carrobesit] [link to this post]

Yes, the setting of the unlocked HG612 is unchanged except the GUI is unlocked and telnet enabled. It shows the following enabled:-

G.DMT (that's ADSL), ADSL2, ADSL2+, VDSL2.

So it will train down to what comes down the line. I think your theory is correct. (Struck out because BatBoy is probably correct, later in the thread).

If you unlock your HG612 you could disable all except VDSL2 and see what happens.

Just a thought - let's check it isn't already unlocked and someone has played with it. Can you get to 192.168.1.1 login screen if you connect an Ethernet cable from its LAN2 to any Ethernet port on your router? Though if there is a tab stuck over LAN2 it isn't likely.

Another thought. Where is the customer's old modem/router? Plug it into the test socket, which is now behind the interstitial plate.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 57676/14040kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 24-Jul-15 00:05:07)

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Thu 23-Jul-15 23:37:00
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

There are no ATM settings though, only PTM, so ADSL won't work without configuration.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 23-Jul-15 23:48:16
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

True, but I'm not trying to get it to connect. Quite the opposite.

He says the Draytek doesn't sync., but the HG612 does. He wonders if it is sync'ing to ADSL2+. So if he disables that and lower protocols we will find out. It will stop sync'ing.

But you raise an interesting question! Where is he getting this 4.7Mbps from?

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 23-Jul-15 23:48:36)

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Thu 23-Jul-15 23:53:32
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I think it's a bad install. After all, he said the magic word - Kellys.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 24-Jul-15 00:03:14
Print Post

Beginning to look that way.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 24-Jul-15 00:05:33
Print Post

My first post edited!

Print Thread

Jump to