General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Spud2003
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 25-Jul-15 20:55:11
Print Post

Vodafone Fibre Network?

[link to this post]

Anyone have any opinions on the Telegraph article where Vodafone suggest they're interested in a national fibre network?

The chief executive of Vodafone has suggested broadband operators should club together to build an ultrafast broadband network for Britain.

Vittorio Colao said his company would be willing to invest with rivals in laying fibre optics into homes and businesses. It came as he continues to hold talks with Liberty Global that could see Vodafone’s UK mobile network combined with the Virgin Media cable network.

He backed calls for BT to be forced to sell off its network division Openreach, dismissing its plans for a multi-billion pound upgrade to broadband technology, called G.fast, as “yesterday’s vision and the vision of a monopolist”.

G.fast aims to squeeze higher speeds from the copper wires that currently make the final connection into premises, saving billions compared with replacing the wires with fibre optics.

“I think Britain needs more fibre, not more expensive football, which is what is happening now,” said Mr Colao.

“We would be prepared to put some equity in a vehicle that could deliver fibre at good conditions to us and also to others, whether that is an independent Openreach or another company.

“If the investment is big it is much better to share and then compete at the level of service.”

He declined to provide any update on talks with Liberty, which were announced last month. They are believed to focus on combining assets in the UK, German and the Netherlands. Vodafone said it was discussing assets swaps, although it is understood that a more complicated merger also remains a possibility.

A combination with Virgin Media would not preclude the possibility of further investment in ultrafast broadband, as the cable network covers only around half the country. Cable coverage is due to rise to two-thirds by 2020 as a result of “Project Lightning”, a £3bn investment by Liberty in filling in gaps in towns and cities where Virgin Media already operates.

Mr Colao floated the idea of a joint investment with rivals as Vodafone reported first-quarter results that showed the operating trends for the company continue to improve after years of decline.

Total organic service revenue, the key measure of its network sales, increased 0.8pc. Within that Europe was down 1.5pc, mainly due to a 5.5pc drop in Spanish sales, but the results were warmly received.

Vodafone shares closed up 2.8pc.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/medi...

If Colao builds a national fibre network I believe the UK should award him the honorary title of "Italian Stallion". laugh
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 25-Jul-15 21:33:01
Print Post

Re: Vodafone Fibre Network?

[re: Spud2003] [link to this post]

How many years before it would be national?

One presumes this FTTH too

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Spud2003
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 25-Jul-15 21:44:31
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
How many years before it would be national?

One presumes this FTTH too

I'd rather have a slow roll-out than no roll-out. Who else is suggesting something of similar ambition?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 25-Jul-15 22:23:20
Print Post

Well vm has a national network expected to be offering 200-300 Mbps next year and expanding
TalkTalk talks of 10 million

Question is what percentage does national mean?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User arobertson545
(member) Sat 25-Jul-15 23:16:40
Print Post

But the thing is, these companies are rolling out in cities where there already is competition.

What we need is a roll-out to happen in rural areas - it would create a real competition to BT and both customers and the companies themselves I believe would benefit.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 25-Jul-15 23:22:50
Print Post

[re: arobertson545] [link to this post]

I know that but most talk big but big only means cities for them

(member) Sat 25-Jul-15 23:24:05
Print Post

We had Fujitsu but the Government favoured BT!

Such a disaster BDUK is. We've saved ourselves a bit of money that we'll then have to spend again in five years time.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sun 26-Jul-15 00:31:19
Print Post

we need to stop worrying about the villages.

I would consider decent coverage of all the UK's cities reasonable national coverage and the villages been left on vectored vdsl2 would still have way better service than an average rural area in the world.

As for VM I see them as all talk, apparently their congested areas are just tiny pockets yet most people I know on VM happen to be by coincidence in these small pockets. Selling a 300mbps service doesnt mean much if it only has 10mbit throughput with latency in the 100s.

It seems to be from where i sit openreach do what BT retail wants, then they supply that to everyone and call it equal access.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4

Edited by Chrysalis (Sun 26-Jul-15 00:33:33)

(member) Sun 26-Jul-15 11:07:54
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
I would consider decent coverage of all the UK's cities reasonable national coverage and the villages been left on vectored vdsl2 would still have way better service than an average rural area in the world.

Unlikely as the cabinets are not at all in the right places for that to be beneficial.

In my village for instance, there are two cabinets. One is about a km away from most residents. The other is about 1.5km away from most residents.

Vectoring isn't going to help massively with that, what would help I suppose is G.Fast but if you're going to run fibre to the DP why not just run it all the way to the home...
Standard User EddyTheDog
(learned) Sun 26-Jul-15 11:28:25
Print Post

If they do, competition should drive prices down. Good for consumers. Better if it's wholesale'd...
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to