General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Steve_York
(newbie) Sun 26-Jul-15 10:40:29
Print Post

Rural York: Not Spot - fibre just laid for industrial estate

[link to this post]

Hi,

I am moving to Hessay, a village on the outskirts of York.

It looks like we are connected to the Rufforth exchange (MYRUF)
The good news is that the Rufforth exchange has been FTTC enabled.
The bad news is that the cabinet that serves the village of Hessay (Cabinet 3) does not appear to have been upgraded.

Q1) Does anyone know where can we find information for planned cabinet upgrades?

Interestingly this week a local industrial estate paid for Fibre to be laid past / through the village (The village is smack between the industrial estate and the exchange)

Q2) Does anyone know if thIs is likely to have gone via the cabinet or this may have opened up some other options?

Alternatively the local "parish council" is looking how to push for the cabinet upgrades, potential costs if they try to fund, grants available etc. Unfortunately this is no there speciality, and I can't work out if its covered by "SuperFast North Yorkshire" or not.

Q3) Any advice or recommendations on who to reach out to / costs etc

Any help really appreciated.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 26-Jul-15 16:46:55
Print Post

Re: Rural York: Not Spot - fibre just laid for industrial es

[re: Steve_York] [link to this post]

Is that the business park at YO23 3QA which seems to be served with FTTC by cabinet 1 and is waiting on a capacity upgrade. Or is the one at YO26 8LG.

Q1) Does anyone know where can we find information for planned cabinet upgrades?
Talk to North Yorkshire NYNET project, cabinet 4 is part of the phase 2 roll-out, but nothing for cabinet 3.

Q2) Most likely that this was a private fibre leased line and nothing to do with GEA. In other words if you have the money you can order a fibre connection almost no matter where you live in the UK, it might even have been done by one of the Openreach competitors.

Cab 3 is at https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.972905,-1.216763,3... 500m from the main cluster in Hessay so not ideal in terms of benefit when you are chasing value for money targets, i.e. I'd suggest the project can get better value for money elsewhere.

Even if you fund the upgrade yourselves then postcodes like YO26 8LG are too far to see any benefit at all.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Steve_York
(newbie) Sun 26-Jul-15 22:01:35
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply,

The industrial park is the one at YO26 8LG which has just had fibre laid.

Im a little confused when you say Cab3 is 500m away from the main cluster in Hessay and seem to infer this is not ideal...

From the reference table on this site 500m can yield speeds up to 38 Mbps. To be honest, 10Mbps would be a game changer for most people in the village. My father in law has lived there all his life, and they can get at max 1.4 Mbps, and a patchy one at that. (or do you just mean the collection on housing is too small to warrant investment and Hessay will remain the last 5%?)

Thanks for the detail about NYNET.

How did you find the information about cabinet 3 not being upgraded or indeed that cabinet 4 was in NYNETs plans? I couldn't find any of this information publicly available but then I may just not be looking in the right place.

Thanks for the help. It is genuinely much appreciated.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 26-Jul-15 22:02:37
Print Post

[re: Steve_York] [link to this post]

Look for links to codelook

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to