General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User miket67m
(newbie) Sun 26-Jul-15 10:45:25
Print Post

FTTC PC Broadband speed

[link to this post]

When my superfast broadband was connected a couple of weeks back the speedtest for TBB, HTTPx6 and TBB Upload were consistent with what I was expecting. Circa 75 mbs down and 18mbs up. Since then the TBB and upload speeds have more than halved on the PC (HTTPx6 remains at circa 74mbs). On other devices (MACs and iPads) wired and wifi) it is all working normally. I can't work out why this is? I have tried disabling the Windows heurisitcs in CMD but it has made no difference.

Current test: Latest test

Original test: Original Test
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 26-Jul-15 11:21:55
Print Post

Re: FTTC PC Broadband speed

[re: miket67m] [link to this post]

Ummmm.

Which version of Windows and which browser please? Your poor test there is what many are getting on Plusnet and blaming them. But you appear to be on BT. Is that correct?

It's when using the Flash version of the tester, which Apple stuff doesn't do.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 57676/14040kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 26-Jul-15 11:25:59)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 26-Jul-15 11:24:56
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Looks like a cap due to software somewhere rather than a congestion type issue. Especially if the same at different times of day

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 26-Jul-15 11:28:14
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

A cap by BT at 7:36 this morning?

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 57676/14040kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User miket67m
(newbie) Sun 26-Jul-15 12:38:05
Print Post

I am using Win 7 Pro 64 Bit and the results are the same on Chrome, IE11 and Firefox. It is consistent through the day and unique to the PC. My MacBook, both wireless and wired, switch and main BT HH5 is showing the correct speeds. I suspect it is something in the PC network settings. I have tried both of the network cards with the same result. I have also disabled the heuristics setting which I understand can throttle back network speed.

Edited by miket67m (Sun 26-Jul-15 12:40:37)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 26-Jul-15 16:34:59
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

NOTE: I said somewhere which is very different.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User miket67m
(newbie) Sun 26-Jul-15 17:43:18
Print Post

Andrew, I suspect you are right. Have you come across this before?

Mike
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 27-Jul-15 11:24:24
Print Post

[re: miket67m] [link to this post]

Yes, and if the line was wobbly we would say its line/congestion or something else.

When dead level it suggests a software issue and could be in the flash component itself, e.g. OSX Safari Flash has a bug limiting tbbx1 to around 12 Mbps. Chrome on OSX is fine.

Print Thread

Jump to