General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Ichneumon
(newbie) Mon 27-Jul-15 20:50:40
Print Post

cabinet: capacity will be restored - more info?

[link to this post]

Hi, I'm trying to find out if there is any more specific information on when it might be possible for me to order fibre. It was available in my area earlier this year, but Murphy's Law is out to play and now that we are able to end our contract and upgrade we can't.

The wholesale checker says "Sorry your cabinet is temporarily unavailable, capacity will be restored as soon as possible." and gives an availability date of 19/08/15. I understand there may be users here who are in a position to find out what is happening if I post the details:

BICKINGTON
Cabinet 2
TQ126PN

I'm hoping this period of unavailability is nothing major and won't be subject to any significant delay. Thanks smile
Standard User Ichneumon
(newbie) Wed 19-Aug-15 03:52:22
Print Post

Re: cabinet: capacity will be restored - more info?

[re: Ichneumon] [link to this post]

Giving this a bump as the BT wholesale line checker now says FTTC availability will be from 16th Sept, so it has slipped a month :|

Is it worth calling Plusnet about this to see if they can get more info?
Standard User eckiedoo
(experienced) Wed 19-Aug-15 07:22:01
Print Post

My local FTTC Cabinet has a potential capacity for 288 lines, with a back-plane of 288 sockets..

When it went live in March 2014, only 48 of the sockets had the Filter/Link devices plugged in, so only a total of only 48 User Upgrades could be handled.

Once these 48 had been fully connected for user-ordered upgrades, there was a temporary stoppage until another 48 Filter/Links was done in May 2015.

In that first year, technicians visited the related PCP, about 300 lines, only about once per month, to make the necessary wiring changes in the PCP.

After the next 48 F/Ls were added to the FTTC in May, there was a flurry of visits to the PCP, probably about a dozen upgrades, catching up.

Since then, the number of visits to the PCP has dropped back.

So it may be another year before more Filter/Links are added to the FTTC.

-----------

With only apparently 48 upgrades implemented by May 2015, this ties in well at about 17%, compared to BT OR's figures of nationally about 13% late in 2014; and 19% about April 2015.

Be careful to distinguish between the availability/coverage of "Super High Speed Broadband" at around 90%; and the proportion of actual take-up/upgrades, at about 19%.

Decidedly different!

Edited by eckiedoo (Wed 19-Aug-15 07:23:04)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 19-Aug-15 07:22:21
Print Post

I doubt Plusnet can provide any more info but no harm in giving them a call. However just be aware that the 16th Sept date is not set in stone and may slip further. For example, my cabinet (NSICL cab # 6) has had FTTC capacity issues since Dec 2014 & since then its been impossible to order FTTC - date keeps slipping by a month, 8 times in a row!! Luckily i was one of the first to order FTTC but very frustrating for my neighbours who are still stuck on ADSL Max.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
TalkTalk Business Fibre 79999/20000 kbps